Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manufacturing history of my old 336 has been bugging me for quite a few years. I got this one for a steal from one of my best buddies after getting him "likkered up" at a brush pile burning get together in 1992. And it's been my favorite rifle of all (small number) I've owned in my lifetime, and still is. My buddy got it from the "original owner" sometime in the early 1980's and it was pretty sunburned from hanging in the back window of the original owner's pick up. It had quite a few cosmetic flaws by the time I got it, including all the "wood burning tool" marks the original owner scratched into the left side of the buttstock (his full name and "1973"). The SN definitely indicates 1973 manufacture - 27044xxx - but I'm uncertain of the stamping of the model as there is no suffix after "336". It's stamped "Mod. 336 Cal. 30-30 Win". For the record, it has good walnut, pistol grip, gold trigger, 20" barrel .... looks like all the rest that used to always show up on pawn shop shelves for $150-$200.

So, is that model stamp a bit unusual?

jd

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always amazed me that people would " butcher " any firearm by engraving { wood burning } their name on the stock .
yep, the letters were about 3/4 inch tall - two lines. When I refinished the wood, I left one vertical part of one letter slightly intact as a reminder for my buddy. We're the same age so I'm not sure which of us will bite the dust first, but I plan to specifically leave the gun to him in my will - if.

jd

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Back in the 1970s--Marlin quit stamping a model letter designation after the "336" for awhile. Don't know why they did that, maybe Tomray knows. I had a 1979 Model 336 30-30 Texan that didn't have the RC stamping. Your rifle is a RC model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts