Marlin Firearms Forum banner

what to do

• Don't worry about it, snap caps are unreliable, wait until it gets tested with real ammo.

• Take it apart and look at stuff sooner than later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a nice looking 336C in 30-30 used with Skinner rear sight installed (SN of the rifle indicates a 2018 manufacture date). I have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet but I have been trying to cycle it with 4 "A-Zoom 30-30 snap caps" unsuccessfully.

My problem appears to be that the case rims are exiting the magazine tube biased to the left side (looking from rear of the gun) and getting caught on the carrier so that they do not exit the magazine tube. It seems to always happen with the last cartridge out of the 4 snap caps in the mag but sometimes one of the others as well. Usually when this happens I can rack the lever back and forth 3-10 times and eventually it comes out.

I was hoping that this was a problem associated with the snap caps and not the gun but I thought I'd post here and see what people say. There is a discussion on here where somebody said they beveled the edge of the carrier or something but to me that sounds like a band aid that doesn't address the source of the problem. Probably won't get many chances to shoot it before hunting season (or run live ammo through it).

·
Banned
543 Posts
Never had that problem, so, this is just a guess,... being the last cartridge out, could it be from a weak mag spring?

May be an easy to try attempt, at a fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could be right, I suppose I could even stretch this spring slightly. But I will say it feels brand new and when that round does eventually snap out it has a good amount of pressure. I'm wondering if there's some kind of loading technique that will make them come out of the mag tube straighter

·
Banned
543 Posts
I'm pretty sure, if you can get them in,... it's the right technique.

Reactions: NYfirefight357

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are few threads on here refering to exactly the problem you are having......two that i read filed the carrier on the LHS 'wing' to guide the round onto the carrier......the problem is caused by a machining practice used to make the hole that the case passes through to get to the carrier on the remington marlins......JM marlins were machined differently in this area and don't seem to have this issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks unhippy, I've read that thread but i want to know why they don't all have these problems if they are all machined that way these days. Is there any downside to beveling the edge of the carrier (probably a lot) I haven't seen any pics of the carrier's after filing. Is that part of the carrier used for guiding the round during chambering?

·
Banned
543 Posts
Hmmm,.. if it is a flaw in the design of the current production carrier,
wouldn't it effect every round being cycled?

·
Banned
543 Posts
Sambat,... I found the thread that seems to have figured this out.

It has a good pic of the different style of receiver manufacturing for you to compare with yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for finding that thread again for me, if nobody has any concerns about filing that edge of the carrier I might just go ahead with it. Wish they had posted pics of their carriers after filing though. If all the receivers are drilled the same way in the corners it's a wonder this isn't a more widespread issue.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Your welcome,... but, do realize,... the carrier doesn't seem to be the problem, it is only the solution.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Well, I believe they have made reliable rifles, and, do make reliable rifles now, it's just that, as with most corporate buy outs, they probably are cutting corners to maximize profits off the Marlin name and reputation. Hence, they have run into quality control problems..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts