Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in my hot grubby little paw's an old box of Winchester .32WS Doe's anyone know if they put a date of manuf. on the box. They have a 6-15 on box lid and 8-15 on the lower portion of the box. Also a 2614 on the lid and a 2613 on the bottom which leads me to believe they are just sequence number's for the box's. Don't see anything like a date on the case's, bullit's are lead soft point's.
Maybe some of you serious collector's can tell me something about them, I'll try and post a pic or two.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
Based on the box alone I think 1938-1948 with the 1938-1953 era more likely.

New haven and printing..plus the orange color of the box without dividers.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you sir, the box doe's have individual case divider's, that make a difference?

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Great box! Thanks for showing us anyways . 8)

Reactions: lever30

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
lever30,
Nice find! The 8-15 indicates August, 1915. I have the same style box in 30 W.C.F. made the same year.

w30wcf

Reactions: lever30

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I was hoping that 8-15 was a date. :eek: Thank's all for the info. That box is headed for the display cabinet!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, about 100 years old.
My father bought a new Winchester 94 carbine in .32 Winchester Special in 1940. When my uncle gave it to me in 1971, when I was 16, it came with half a box of cartridges that dad bought at the time.
That box was the standard box, not a lift-top. It showed a grizzly bear standing upright on the label. Your box is much holder than the 1940 box.
It would seem that 1915 would be accurate, or at least approximate.
Those cartridges may be loaded with the 165 gr. bullet. That was the original bullet weight for the .32 WS, then later it was raised to 170 grs. Yahweh knows why.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just noticed that these cartridges have tin-plated bullets; the plating was used to cut fouling caused by the early copper jacket material. The tin plating caused some problems because the tin could react with the brass case, effectively soldering the bullet in the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.