Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few 32 H&R mags for sale .This is the ultimale squirrel and rabbit rifle if you reload.I was wondering if anyone had shot one yet?I have two Ruger single sixes that I load hot loads for.will this gun handle hot loads.The loads are 10 grs of 296 with 115 gr hard cast or 12 grs of 296 with 100 gr hornady xtp bullets.I like the 32 mag cases alot better than 32-20 caes that you can bend with your fingers.I want one of these rifles if they are worth the $600 they are asking.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I dont think it would be much of a rabbit gun. The one rabbit I shot with mine was turned inside out :shock: They are real tack drivers. I'm shooting the Hornady 85 gr XTP and it is unbeliveable for accuracy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have had a 32 H&R 1894 for several months now, about 800 rounds through it so far. No problems with the rifle mechanically. It is really a pleasure to shoot and the straight wall case is a breeze to reload with carbide dies. The cases are small and not overly fragile, although I have ruined a few running them through the dies when not perfectly centered. My fault there though.

My pet load is the 85 Hornady XTP over 11.0 H110. It shoots a very consistant 2" group at 100 yards off the bench. Mid range is about 1 3/4" high at 50 yards with groups under an inch at this range. Velocity is 1550 fps. This is pretty fast but shoots well. This load is not in any book, I worked it up myself and there are no signs of problems with it. Use caution and common sense if trying to duplicate it.

The rifle I have does not like shooting lead, at least not to my satisfaction. It groups great at 25, okay at 50 but LOUSY at 100 yards with lead. Groups at 100 are erratic and mostly 6" or more. I've tried all kinds of suggestions and have given up on lead in favor of the XTP's.

I'm probably going to take it turkey hunting this fall. We can use rifles here in PA for the fall season. I'm going to try to keep the shot in the neck or head so as not to blow the bird up.

I have a 2X7 Leupold compact scope on it in a one-piece Redfield mount with a Wild West Guns Trigger.

I'm really happy with mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides the 85 gr xtp and the 100 gr xtp hornadys what bullets are there.Does remington still sell the jacketed 32-20 bullets they use to sell.I like the hornady xtp bullets better than the hard cast 115 gr but the 115 gr hits harder.Our snow shoe hares are pretty big.It would be fun to evaporate sqqirrels with.How loud is it in the rifle.Its loud as heck in My Ruger single six with hot loads.I got up to 1500 fps with the 85 gr in my pistol and 1400 fps with the 100 gr xtp bullets..any problems with feeding?I hope they come down some they were $700 when they came out now about $619.its alot to pay for a rabbit gun.How was the wood on them?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Mine has VERY nice wood. Kind of a tiger stripe walnut. They are like shooting a pop gun. Really not very loud at all. I still think it would turn even a snowshoe inside out. I want to shoot a bob cat with mine this year. To be honest I had buyers remorse on the way home from the gun shop. After the first group out of the rifle...that remorse was gone. I have some groups that are nothing more than a very large hole shot at 50 yards with the factory sights. You will not regret gettin one.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I've gotta get one before they stop making them. I also want a Ruger single six in it. Has the gun been popular enough to continue making?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Better get on it Dr A. :D I will bet they will be like the 30-30 and 38/55 CB's. They will make them for a couple years and then move on to some thing else. It would be even better for Jack to shoot..did that help push you over the edge? :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Alan, do you have any up there in your shops? I've thought about a trip up to look at that 38-55. I even ordered a 32 gang mold and no gun to go with it yet. :cry: I guess I'll have to send you some bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'll call Dan and find out if he still has the 38/55. I bet he does and I will check and see if he has a 32 Mag by chance. If you come up you will have stop by!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I love mine. It does good enough for me with lead. All I was looking for though was a 1" group at 25 yards. That's about all you need for squirrels and such. I've used it in 1 "Cowboy" match and it did fine. I even hit the 100yd bonus target that some of the other "cowboy's" were saying it wouldn't make it to. I was using a 97gr. LRN from a modified Lee mold running around 1200fps. I have switched to Valiant Cast Bullet Co.'s .313" 115gr.FN over 3.1gr. Unique. The group I got with it wasn't quite as tight as with the other load but it is the best all around load (for the Marlin and Single Sixes). This load gave an avg. MV of 857fps out of my Birdshead Single Six and 1031fps out of the Marlin.

C.S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts