Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in finding a Marlin in 32 special someday, but I'm in no hurry. There is one on an auction site, and it has been there for awhile. If anyone knows why it hasn't sold, could they point out the flaws? ie: price, condition, correctness, etc. Thanks, PM me for more specific info if needed. Joel

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Just being a .32 no matter the condition might be the reason. .32s are rare in some areas and considered to be worth more, might be the seller has a set price to be met before selling.

If the action and bore are good all else is fixable.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What is everyone's experience with 32 Special pricing. Given a pair of Marlin 336RCs in excellent condition for example, one in 30-30 and one in 32 Special, what would one expect for a premium in 32 Special? I'm not particularly tuned into that caliber right now, but general observations leads me to think its about a 20% premium.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I suppose a collector needs one of every caliber that was made but I don't see any advantage over the .30-30 except the .32's ammo probably cost more.

·
Super Moderator
24,928 Posts
And--the 32 WSP shoots flatter than the 30-30! Plus having a bigger bullet never hurts either. I got a VG+ condition 336A in 32 WSP last year for 450 bucks on GB. Now 336A 32 WSPs are running around $600 to start off. RC and SC models are a little cheaper but WILL cost more than a comperable 30-30. These are hard to find--I think Marlin last made a rifle in this caliber in 1963.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
When it comes to shooting cast light loads, the .32 shines compared to a lot of other calibers in a wider spread of speed. Mine likes plain base cast in the 1100 fps range.

I found mine liked Alliant 2400 very well in cast, then I have a .357 that likes that magnum powder also, so for me it's a win, win for powder.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I agree with what others have posted above. I was fortunate enough to get two different .32 WSPs a little while back within a few months of each other. One is a 1947 Model 36, and the other is a 1949 SC. Both are in great condition, and I've always had an affinity for the .32 WSP.
IMG_0801.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
I just picked up a nice 1952 336RC in 32 WSP. Asking price was $450, paid 425.

IMG_2102 (800x182).jpg

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Squirrel Brain-

Oh my- your 32 is just incredible. Gorgeous rifle. I'm jealous.... again.

Nice picture, too.

M

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Yes that is a very nice lookin 32 Squirrel Brian

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
When you get a 32 Special, don't forget to join the "Special" team:biggrin:. If you have a 32 WSP and haven't joined the team, why not? :tee:

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I traded a pistol for my 32 WSP and I'm still smiling. I love these rifles and yes, I want another one. Nobody can get just one! This one is a 1949 RC.

View attachment 97714

Ron
You are so correct Ron! I've acquired four so far. Two marlin 336SC's and two Win Model 94's. Like Swaney commented, the .32 WS shoots cast bullets remarkably well from 1000 fps all the way up to 2300 fps!

My four .32 Specials and two targets using cast bullets. First target @ 2300fps using LVR powder and second one @ 1744fps using 2400 powder First target uses the RCBS 08-170 182 grain cast and the second target uses the 182 grain Ranch Dog 323-170 bullet. Both groups are five shots @ 50 yards.
Bob

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Wow, Bob, those targets are impressive. Any game animal would have died instantly, as did your targets. Great pictures, by the way! Who ever said the old calibers were obsolete? There's an awful lot of life and usefulness in them. Not to mention the timeless look of an American classic. What more could you ask for!

Ron

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In reference to the original question I posted....after months of no bids, the gun sold today on gunbroker, but I decided to pass after some good information from a fellow member here. I'll keep looking. Joel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts