Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my little Marlin a few times (40-50) today. SASS match tomorrow.

It has been slicked up a bit, and I have shot it probably 300 rounds or so. Today, on the very first magazine full, it ejected the live round instead of chambering. This was the first round out of a full magazine. It only happened once

I had heard that some of the first guns had this problem. However, my gun is from the current production run. Also, I had read that this problem didn't occur as long as the rounds were loaded to a fairly long OAL. I use the 118 gr SWC bullet regualrly anyway, and it loaded cartridge exceeded the suggested minimum OAL.

Are others having this problem? Since it happened once, I'm sure it will happen again. Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have had ZERO problems with mine. I've got about 600 rounds through it now. I'd call Marlin and have them make it right.

Back about March, a shop near me got a 32 H&R in from the initial few that came from Marlin. The shop owner said nearly every loaded round cycled from the magazine was ejected out of the rifle. It went back to Marlin for a fix. There must have been some problems early with this but few since. Maybe yours just got by the QC people or has some earlier parts in it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No problems with mine but I have not shot it very much yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't shot mine a lot , but I have been using reloads only. And they have been mostly with some 90 grain Hornady swaged lead bullets. These bullets are semi wadcutters and the nose is fairly long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My gunsmith called Marlin. Marlin told him that they had never, ever had a problem like that. They said maybe the ejector wasn't fitted properly and are sending a new one. I'm still betting that the issue is because the magazine spring is so strong, and ejects the rounds from the magazine so violently.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I fired mine yesterday. Ran 50 or so handloads thru it and some factory. I did have one round to eject from the rifle, but I am thinking it was my fault. I was ejecting my empties onto a lounge chair for easy brass retrieval and figured I had the gun tilted wrong and was too slow at closing the action. It worked perfectly after that one event.

My dealer did tell me to shoot the gun, though. Mine was one of three he received and one has already been shipped back to Marlin for a problem with ejecting -- he did not have the full particulars, though.
Regards,
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
32Special said:
Shot my little Marlin a few times (40-50) today. SASS match tomorrow.

It has been slicked up a bit, and I have shot it probably 300 rounds or so. Today, on the very first magazine full, it ejected the live round instead of chambering. This was the first round out of a full magazine. It only happened once

I had heard that some of the first guns had this problem. However, my gun is from the current production run. Also, I had read that this problem didn't occur as long as the rounds were loaded to a fairly long OAL. I use the 118 gr SWC bullet regualrly anyway, and it loaded cartridge exceeded the suggested minimum OAL.

Are others having this problem? Since it happened once, I'm sure it will happen again. Thanks.

You didn't say what the OAL of your ammo is.

By the way, did your instruction manual state the min/max ammo OAL for the rifle? My 1894CB.32H&R came with the 1894 .357/.44 manual. Waiting for Marlin to mail me the proper booklet and tell me the mon/max OAL for this gun (picked up last week).

Does anyone have those numbers???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 118 grain SWC bullet I'm using is the longest bullet I've ever seen in a 32 H&R. It was designed for the 32-20.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
32Special said:
The 118 grain SWC bullet I'm using is the longest bullet I've ever seen in a 32 H&R. It was designed for the 32-20.
The FP from NBC I'm using is also long, and is "sold" for .32-20 ammo. It gives me the "textbook" length of 1.350". By the way, NBC describes them as .313" dia, but I measure them to be .314" dia.

In case you didn't see my data in another thread here is a link:

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7540&start=15

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
32 special, there's an easy way to determine if it's the strong magazine spring. If it only happens with the first or second round, then it's quite possible, since the mag spring relaxes more with each round. Try loading one less, and see if it still does this with the first one. If it doesn't, then trim the spring about 1". That should do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replacing the ejector didn't fix it. It happened again this weekend during an annual 3 day SASS match. Once was the first round out of the magazine, and the second time it was about the 4th round. The RO watched me cycle the gun after that and reported that the first round really bounced around in the receiver before being shoved in the chamber. The others went straight in.

Called Marlin today. They are sending me a new cartridge carrier. They said that is the problem, and said it wasn't the mag spring tension.

Only problem is another guy at the match was having the same issue, and he HAS the new carrier. His gunsmith thought the slop in the lever/carrier was causing the problem and installed a hardened bushing to tighten things up. His lever was much tighter in side to side play than mine, but he was still kicking out live rounds. I saw it happen to him twice, but his son was using the same rifle and I didn't see him have any trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts