Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the auction sites for C&R rifles and I came across a MARLIN MODEL 36 (2nd variation) in 32 H.P.S. The only site I found any info on the caliber said that it was also known as the 32 special with roughly the same capabilities and ballistics as the 30-30 Winchester. Is it also referred to as the 32 Winchester Special :?: Federal and Winchester still make commerical loads for it.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Most definitely! Although the .32 HPS is not as popular as it once was, it is still alive and in current supply.
Back in the old days, Marlin preferred to not put Winchester's name on their barrels, so they changed the .32 Winchester Special to the .32 HPS.
I like the sound of the .32 HPS better myself! It often puzzles people when I refer to it that way!

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
154 Posts
JBP -

(Very) similar to the 30-30, quite often equated as being the same (but for a slightly larger bullet)... but actually not quite/really. The case for the 32 has the same capacity as the 3030 (+/- .2gr), but significantly, the barrels are nominally 1:16 twist vs 1:12 for the 3030, ie, 1/3 less energy goes into spinning the bullet vs driving it forward - meaning the 32 with the same load will generally generate an extra 100 fps. For lead bullet launching the 1:16 beats up on the bullets less, and at least for us, generates smaller groups (by a significant 20-30%). In this year's Ranch Dog's Postal Match we used one to good effect... a fine cartridge; components are still available... and if you want to convert a 3030 marlin over to a 32, e-gunparts.com will sell you a 24" barrel for $50. [if you're looking for CAS 32 ws loads, we have quite a few on our website - look under Levergun Studies/Data.]

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

G

·
I have two 32 Specials ,a 1936 in rifle configuration and a 336SC "J" (1952) . There is a tang sight on the 1936 and a peep on the SC . The mold I cast from for these two is the RCBS 170gr GC . There are two powder combos that seem to work in both rifles with that bullet :11.5grs of Sr4756 and 10grs SR7625 ! Last year I shot a button buck with the SC at 42 yards ,he took 6 steps and fell over ! Haven't hunted with the 1936 yet , but at some point I will find the time .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts