Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Marlin 336 32-40 out to the range for some exercise. Load was 14.5 grains of 2400 powder under a 170 grain Hornady RNFP, W-W primer and brass. Rear sight is a Redfield side mount peep with factory ramp/bead front sight. Distance was 50 yards.
Target shows two 3 shot groups, the first is the lower group, moved sight up 6 clicks and fired the second. One of the better targets shot that day. Fired a total of 45 rounds for the day. Shenandoah

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Nice rifle and nice shooting! I use a lot of 2400 in my .32 Win Special cast bullet shooting. Is your rifle a rebarrel project? How did you happen
to get your 32-40?
358 Win

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That is good shooting and inquiring minds want to know...how did you get a 336 in .32-40?

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It started life as a '68' Texan in 30-30. Was rebarreled into 32-40, changed to pistol grip, trigger job done and upgrade of stock and fore end. One of the slickest handling Marlins I have owned. Really think it will be my "go to" gun in the not too distant future. Am ordering some cast lead bullets I want to try with IMR 4198 in addition to 2400. Jacketed bullets a bit rich for me. Very satisfied with the results of my first outing with her.
I doubt it is a "one of a kind" gun, but at the same time the gun rack at the sporting goods stores are not full of them either. Thanks again djh. Shenandoah

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Nice looking finished project. I have a 1973 model 336A that I re-barreled to 32-40 using an original Model 93 24" Marlin barrel. My gun is also very accurate, although I have only fired mine with factory 32-40 165 grain jacketed flat point loads; but if you plan to hunt whitetails with your gun, I would suggest a hand load with a lot more punch than factory loads. I've shot two white tail does with my 32-40; and even though both deer were hit well in the heart/lung area, I was unable to recover either in the thick North GA woods (no blood trail). I haven't taken the time yet; but am thinking that some slightly heavier loads plugged with some of the new 165 grain Hornady Flex-tips would be quite an improvement and effective on deer sized game.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Shen,
Nice rifle and good shootin for the first time out.You may want to Try my Unique load for cast bullets with 7.0 grs and 165gr bullet.
For jacketed bullets I use IMR3031 and found the Speer bullets is the most accurate.I had thought about modifing a 336 to shoot 32-40,but ended up with an Antique 1893.Something about those 32 cals :)

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Shenandoah,

That baby sure looks familiar. Good shooten with those sights.

Glad you are happy with her.

Still haven't figured out why her sister the 38-55 hasn’t sold yet.

Enjoy.

djh

·
Registered
122 Posts
What a great compact gun and what a great shooter....except for me buying guns, playing with them, and then selling them to finance the next fancy to the point i admit i don't buy guns, i only rent them, i would like to say "and someone SOLD that gun?!"....but i cannot, as i have sold most every tackdriver and custom i have ever owned, save only a couple....but what a great gun....congratulations....

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Centex - While I have not tested it myself it is marked 1506 FPS. This was noted in central Texas and I live in west Texas. I would assume it to be about the same.
I just know the recoil is very mild.
Hope to get back to the range (50 mile trip one way) soon and do some more shooting as well as fire up some targets with my 32-20 for the Team 1894 postal match entry.
Shenandoah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts