Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 full boxes of commemorative "Duke" 32-40 ammo and one box that is half shot, but still have the casings. Wanted to know if something like this can be reloaded. I don't want to shoot the commemorative rounds but don't see a problem with shooting reloaded cases of the ones that are already fired.

Any thoughts on this? Any known issues I may run into?

image last.JPG

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Beautiful Marlin, and cool collectable ammo.
I don't see it in the picture, but I vaguely recall that was a Winchester commemorative deal...ought to work as well as any other quality brass.
You might swagger and say pithy lines and call folks 'Pilgrim' and stuff.
Welcome to MO, from NC!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I remember when Winchester made the John Wayne ammo. Got to be over 30 years ago. The .32-40's are selling online for $85-$95 a box. Reloading the fired cases will be fine,but you'll have to decide if you want to save and preserve the unfired ammo.
Very nice rifle.

Rob

·
Registered
772 Posts
Are they nickel plated? If so, I would expect them to be similar to nickel plated revolver cases - eventually the nickel will start to peel. :dong:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely not firing any original rounds, but with half a box of just nickel cases I figured why not refill and fire away. Hope it's that easy though!

I remember when Winchester made the John Wayne ammo. Got to be over 30 years ago. The .32-40's are selling online for $85-$95 a box. Reloading the fired cases will be fine,but you'll have to decide if you want to save and preserve the unfired ammo.
Very nice rifle.

Rob

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, definitely good to know. Yes, they are all nickel plated (and have a cool DUKE stamped on the bottom of each case). Peeling...appreciate you letting me know about that. Something to be aware of.

Are they nickel plated? If so, I would expect them to be similar to nickel plated revolver cases - eventually the nickel will start to peel. :dong:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Reload 'em and shoot. Unless someone is willing to give you like $10 per piece of brass.....I'd sell 'em quicker than you can say "Jackie Robinson." I have a John Wayne 32-40 and I'm still trying to get it to shoot decent groups. I think after working on it during this past cold snap.....then deluge of rain I believe it should now give me decent groups. As soon as I get over my cold I got from flintlock hunting......I'll let you know. And no....I'm not paying $95 a box for anything. Except maybe a darn good "box" with an even better bottle of bourbon inside of it.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
Reload 'em and shoot. Unless someone is willing to give you like $10 per piece of brass.....I'd sell 'em quicker than you can say "Jackie Robinson." I have a John Wayne 32-40 and I'm still trying to get it to shoot decent groups. I think after working on it during this past cold snap.....then deluge of rain I believe it should now give me decent groups. As soon as I get over my cold I got from flintlock hunting......I'll let you know. And no....I'm not paying $95 a box for anything. Except maybe a darn good "box" with an even better bottle of bourbon inside of it.
where are you in PA im in NY not far from milford.got a box of Duke 32.40 with 19 rds if your interested.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
where are you in PA im in NY not far from milford.got a box of Duke 32.40 with 19 rds if your interested.
I'm near Pittsburgh. I'm willing to give you $10 for those 19 rounds. Unless you have a good bottle of bourbon that is getting shipped with it. :rock: (Legal of course. Purchased in Pa. with all taxes paid.)

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ben, I have reloaded the John Wayne cases. Never had the plating flake off, but they do stretch more than the cases I formed from 38-55 cases with Identical loads. The canelure at the base of the bullet flattens out which i think causes them to stretch. Not a problem if you keep them trimmed. After 6-8 loading most of them cracked at the canelure. That is why I form cases from 38-55 cases which don't have the canelure. Most of my loads are with 170 gr cast bullets at 1300-1500 fps. $85 a box I sholed sell the box and a half I still have and buy primers and powder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts