Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
_20140615_211021.JPG
Here is a cast of my 1893 32-40 chamber showing the rifling present all the way back to the case mouth. The initial cast bullets I am loading shoot well but it requires that extra little squeeze to engrave the bullet when cycling the lever. Can anyone recommend a more period correct cast bullet choice with a frontal diameter that would fit correctly?

·
Registered
910 Posts
sparky
does it engrave the nose bore riding area or the front driving band?

·
Registered
910 Posts
the lyman 321297 has a tapered nose and a narrow front driving band weighs 187 gr, if you are looking for an off the shelf mold. sgt dog has worked a lot with this and he has a custom mold from lbt(i like), but i think the ones you are squeezing in are going to be the most accurate, anyway they are in my 30s. listen to me the expert, i dont even have a 32-40.

·
Registered
910 Posts
reread your first post, see you are looking for bullets not molds. i bet wind or jb can steer you the right direction

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loaded a few for a function check and some plinking and it was minute if coffee can. I had to put on almost all my elevation to get there. But that little squeeze was pretty firm. I've had good luck with slightly engraved bullets in my limited cast experience so I'm not opposed to it but this was rather firm I thought.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Hey Sparky.....
The Lyman #321317 is period correct for the 32-40 and is the bullet Lyman uses for factory duplication loads. It is suppose to drop at .323 and is a gas check bullet.

The Lee 175gr RN 8mm is a similer shape, but just a tad bit heavier. I have used the Lee bullet with good success in both my 32-40 rifles. One a lever gun, the other a 1885 High Wall. If you would like to try some of them send me a PM. I think I also have some of the RCBS 08-170 FN cast, but I haven't tried them in either 32-40, I shoot them in 32 Specials.

·
Registered
910 Posts
sparky
in my shooting i have found that with a bore rider tight is better with a tapered nose a wide front driving band is better. lever guns can be picky

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey CS, the ones I'm trying are the rcbs 170's from western bullet company initially purchased for my 32 special. I chambered a dummy and it pushed it way back in the brass beyond the front drive band. So I loaded them a hair longer and went with it. Still plenty engraved and the squeeze is very noticeable. Not too bad but I'm thinking not a real good fit.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Sparky - Did I miss it, or have you been able to slug the bore? Like City Slicker I shoot a 175 grain RN 8mm Lee bullet sized 322 in my 32-40. They actually weigh about 178 grains using wheel weight metal. Shenandoah

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well....I actually didn't slug the bore. I poured that cast and measured the groove dia from that. Should I slug it also?

Btw from the cast it measured .320" and bullets on hand are .321" so I gave them a go.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Hey CS, the ones I'm trying are the rcbs 170's from western bullet company initially purchased for my 32 special. I chambered a dummy and it pushed it way back in the brass beyond the front drive band. So I loaded them a hair longer and went with it. Still plenty engraved and the squeeze is very noticeable. Not too bad but I'm thinking not a real good fit.
Did Western Bullet specify which mould they use to cast that bullet. RCBS make two 32cal 170gr FN nose bullets. I believe one is designed for 32 Specials and one for 8mm Mausers. If the block they are using is labeled 08-170 you might do better with the 32-170 it drops a little smaller.

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 32-170-FN 32 Cal (321 Diameter) 170 Grain

·
Registered
910 Posts
i bet your bore size is near .311 check one in the muzzle when you get them if its a bore rider

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like to thank City Slicker. As it turns out he is only a few minutes away and he gave me a few samples of some good looking 32's to demo. I like this web site. Hopefully this weekend I will get to see how they chamber. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Sc -- My 32-40 likes the RCBS 82024. A 170 grainer, and molds presently available from RCBS. Mine does not like to be engraved, but does like a .324" diameter - just particular to my rifle. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
395 Posts
I shoot the RCBS bullet in my 32SPL. and they shoot well.If the bullet you have shoots well you might try trimming your brass slightly to avoid making it too hard to chamber and keep using it.Saeco makes an few molds that are an old style design.A 165 gr. and a 200gr. if I remember right.They are a tapered bullet like those that were breech seated.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok it's becoming pretty clear from looking at the bullet designs that there are a couple that will probably play well with my chamber. Looks like the lyman and the accurate designs will both chamber without much engraving if any. I may need to trim the brass just a touch to get things mated up. Many thanks to all who offered up assistance. When the holes on paper are a little closer together I will come back with the steps taken and pics of the results.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts