Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for some 32-40 brass, as I had seen a few rifles sale and thought I might like to have one. I have not found anyone who has it besides Buffalo Arms who has some reformed brass. I heard Winchester makes some runs of it occasionally, but have found no info. as to when to expect another run. 100 cases are up for auction on GB and started at $60.00, now they are over $100.00 and still going. I guess my question is. Is this caliber really that rare?? Dies are available. Bullets are available, but no brass!! I have read that 38-55 brass can be made into 32-40. If this can be done without much trouble maybe that is the way to go. Maybe it is putting the horse before the cart, but I would like to find a source for reloading components, before I go biddin on a gun only to find I cannot get anything to shoot out of it!! Thanks for your input, Jamie.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
According to Ken Waters, it can be made from 30 30 32 win special and 38 55 in other words, any 30 30 depending on how much of a headache a guy can suffer. He doesnt even spend but a paragraph on it, using the above cases, it cant be much of a challenge.

he mentions forming dies, but I would think after annealing the shoulder and neck, one trip with a 32 W.S. into the standard sizer on a 32 40 would work.

You might get a wrinkle or two, but they should fire form.

If you have to end up buying form dies, that is going to be a pretty large expenditure, so I suggest getting creative and staying away from them if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Jamie My experience has been that 30-30 brass can be used to form 32-40 by slowly running them through the resizing 32-40 die. Trim to length if needed. Lube the inside of the neck with a brush makes it a bit easier when necking up the brass. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there MULEMAN -- I don't think it's an issue. I picked up ten bags for other folks this summer. Left at least thirty. Kinda wish I could get all that on an auction site now!! It gets run on a seasonal basis and you just need to keep your good eye skinned. I am not a fan of improperly head stamped brass. Maybe in a dire emergency, but hopefully I wouldn't be down to my 32-40 as the last rifle on the planet!! It will probably take you longer to find a good rifle than to acquire brass for it. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have no experience with this cartridge. I see John Wayne boxed Winchester ammo for sale from time to time. "Handloader" #269, from December 2010 had an article on this round. Dimensions are not given in the text, but side by side photos show the case a little longer than the .30-30 and .32 special, and the same length as the .38-55. I suspect the latter is your best route. You should be able to anneal the top half of the case (bottom in water to preserve integrity) and then do a slight trim job. The author says .32 Specials can be used for a satisfactory overall length, but the case will be short. The article is more about history and techniqie and is unusual in that there is no load data. I suspect that one will eventually find somewhere that starting .32 special data will do. Sounds like an worthwhile project to me. Best wishes, Jack

PS: I have purchased .219 from .30-30 brass from Buffalo Arms. Pricey, but complete satisfaction with the product.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
My best friend and casting buddy got a life time supply from Graf and Sons reloading supplies. As was said earlier, it is run seasonally, so you'll have to keep your eyes and ears open. Contact Graf and Sons and see if you can be put on list of some sort, that when they get it in they can
contact you. Natchez Shooters Supply is another place to keep watching, along with Midsouth Shooters Supply and Midway!!!
358 Win

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Pretty sure 7-30 Waters brass would be the easiest to reform from a length standpoint. Somebody has it, else the annual Schuetzenfest would not go on it's popular round for that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is not rare, it is expensive. Ammo is available on GB for 45-70 prices. That is not too bad to shoot for brass. Personally, for a lever in what is a plinking caliber, I want several hundred pieces of brass to feel well stocked. You are always going to lose a few, step on some, crush some necks in the press, etc. A target shooter on the other hand, probably wants the best 20 cases he can find.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I have no problems making .40-65 out of .45-70 brass using Imperial Sizing wax and a standard .40-65 FL die. I would think it would be just as easy sizing down .38-55 brass, which is the correct length, the same way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have formed 32-40 cases from 30-30,32 Special and 38-55. 38-55 is the best since it it the correct length. 30-30 and 32 Special are short but usable. the problem with the shorter cases is crimping. My 32-40 crimping die would not crimp the shorter cases. I circumvented that problem by using a 32 Special seating die for crimping.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it is worth. I called Winchester Ammunition and they told me they no longer make 32-40. I called Buffalo Arms and they have resized 38-55 ( not correct headstamp, but dimensionally correct) $1.00 a piece. They said they had been getting correct headstamped brass from RCBS, but did not know if, or when, they would be able to get any more. Grafs and Midway were not answering their phones, I suspect because of the snow storm they are not working today.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For whatever this is worth in terms of lost opportunities, back in the early-80's my local dealer had 2-3 cases of 32-40 John Wayne commemorative ammo on the junk table of his shop that he was closing out for $3/box (no demand back then!). I didn't have a 32-40 at the time (have one now); but I figured what the heck for $3 and bought 4 boxes. I still have three of those boxes, and can't bring myself to shoot the stuff because of what it now fetches on GB; but now I wish I bought the entire lot!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good opertunity for starline. I have three 32-40's to feed and have just a few hundred Winchester cases. I did reform 50 30-30's easily with one pass using sizing wax but they do come up short on length.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent an e-mail to Starline and told them that I belonged to a large group of shooters who were interested in finding a source for 32-40 brass. I got a reply back stateing " We are sorry, but we do not make cases for the 32-40"

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I would note that when guys say that making it from one of the other cases, its "short" in this example, we should clarify that it does not make a whits difference in practical use. The print shows the 30 30 case is .091 shorter, or a red hair longer than 1/16" of an inch for the old sailors in the bunch. :)

The print shows the 38 55 is a smidge longer, but still "short" in the technical sense. A guy could adjust his crimp die, and live happily ever after.

Or pick up the old John Wayne ammo, shoot it and then reload. I guess it all depends on how easy or how difficult one wishes to make shooting the gun.

Me? I would resize 30 30 brass or other, in a NY minute, and start lodging bullets. :) And thats just my opinion and experience, others are free to believe that I am goofy, which is likely true. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both Natchess and Midway show OUT OF STOCK on their websites.. Just a note, I did not buy them, but 100 new WW 32-40 cases just sold on GB for $137.00 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Some of you say that 38-55 brass is the correct length. 38-55 brass is available in three different lengths. Be sure you have the right one. I use new 32 Spec. brass and just run it thru the 32-40 sizing die and load it. And it is no big thing if I accidentally shoot it in a 32 special.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts