Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please, there is some 32-40 rounds in a local auction that I could bid for but I know the diameter of the jacketed bullets is .320ins and my barrel mod 93 built 1903 slugs at .326ins. Would they be like an arm in a shirt sleeve fit and wander down the bore and be a waste of money? and would they be a little hot for my old rifle ? I do not hunt with it (not allowed over here.) Thanks

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
It’s hard to answer the OP’s question when he fails to tell us exactly what “old rifle“ he has. Model of rifle? (Winchester chambered that caliber about 40 years ago in the John Wayne Commemorative rifle.). Condition of rifle, is it being fired now? So many questions, so few answers….

All that said, I believe that the OP would be advised to take BigAl’s suggestion above, stay away from collectable ammo and either look into reloading himself or finding a firm which offers cowboy ammunition. I have no experience with the companies below, they are just returns from a Google search.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Advice please, there is some 32-40 rounds in a local auction that I could bid for but I know the diameter of the jacketed bullets is .320ins and my barrel mod 93 built 1903 slugs at .326ins. Would they be like an arm in a shirt sleeve fit and wander down the bore and be a waste of money? and would they be a little hot for my old rifle ? I do not hunt with it (not allowed over here.) Thanks
More like bangers down a hallway! (hotdogs, sausages etc for Yankeephiles) My Marlin 1893 in 32-40 measures like your rifle and shoots a pattern (not a group) like 00 buckshot when using "factory" .320-.321. I agree the cartridges mentioned would be more collectables than shooters. Cast and size .327-.328 or paper patched lead boolits with moderate loads even black powder. More totally enjoyable and will actually stand a chance of hitting something.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you look at his profile, he's in the UK. Ammo may not be as readily available there as it is here. Kynoch is a well-known British ammo company and the rounds are highly collectible. That said, 32-40 is 32-40 and it should work ok. Personally, I would pick it up for the collector's value or as a future trade item. I just made $150.00 off 25 rounds of Pre-1910 WCC 45 Schofield ammunition. So, there is a market for collectible ammo both here and in the UK/EU.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have modified 30-30 cases and have been reloading for it for a while now with cast .327in bullets over Trail Boss to moderate velocities but not chronographed yet. Was thinking they were not shooting ammo, just wanted to be sure. will have to switch from TB when it runs out as its not available over here as it has nasty chemicals in it. Will see what Ken Waters suggests and Lee manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts