Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here is one i picked up yesterday. the gun looks better than the quick photos. it is a 94 32-20 i think it was made in the mid 20s because it has the star on the tang. it has a 24in octagonal to round barrel. it has a crummy little flip rear sight that flops around. the tang sight is very good and the gun shoots dead on with it. but i am no fan of the tang sight. i would like to get the correct rear sight. i think it should take the short one. if somebody has one they want to depart with let me know.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Nice looking rifle!

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Can you play around with a spring to put under the sight or just wedge the thing? the idea was to permit the sight to be laid down for the "long range" tang sight to be used.
Curious as to your experience with the 32-20. I have one in a Marlin CL and have enjoyed the rifle and cartridge. I have a couple of boxes of factory Remington 100 grain that pattern but do not shoot well so they are a pain to use for the brass. Still have a lot pf Starline, which works well so its not too big of a deal yet. I use mine with lighter loads and have shot small game with it. Enjoy the rifle.

DEP

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i shot this one yesterday with the load i use in my S&W hand eject. 115gr. lyman 4.2gr of unique using the tang sight, it shoots great! but that stinking rear sight is just no good. i need an original one with the ladder. if somebody knows where to get one let me know. i will take the tang off,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Nice rifle! I've always been intrigued by the 32-20. Have a 25-20 but have always wanted the larger cartridge - and a convertible Blackhawk to go along with it! Ha!

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts
Hey Oldskool,

That is a fine looking rifle!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ooh! Nice looking hardware. You are lucky to have that one. While you don't like the tang sight, I suggest that you try it for a while. A good aperture sight with a blade front sight is about as good as it gets for good accuracy. I might also add that an old tang sight like that is a valuable addition to that Marlin.

My 1984CL is a youngster compared to yours, but it shoots well with 115 grain cast bullets over Unique powder. It will hold two MOA through 200 yards using cast bullets with the Lyman 66 aperture sight and a blade front sight for a military type sight picture.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's a '93 in 32-20? I have a 32-20 '94, didn't know that the smaller calibers were available in both rifles.
I may have the rear sight you're looking for.
Dibs on the tang sight if you decide to part with it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great score. You do find some very nice firearms in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
14,213 Posts
I have a 1894 rifle in 32/20, I’m guessing 1893 is typo? Mine shoots head of squirrel at 40 yds. I also have 53 Win. 32/20. Both shoot excellent with cast 115gr. Neither shoots jackets well. The bore in Marlin is dark, gun from turn of century but has very good rifling.
F5CB6052-9C03-4602-AB37-DF819DE22468.jpeg

·
Registered
918 Posts
i shot this one yesterday with the load i use in my S&W hand eject. 115gr. lyman 4.2gr of unique using the tang sight, it shoots great! but that stinking rear sight is just no good. i need an original one with the ladder. if somebody knows where to get one let me know. i will take the tang off,,,,,,,,,,,
Check your personal messages; I have the sight.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Do you mean the rear barrel sight with dovetail mount?

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 1894 rifle in 32/20, I’m guessing 1893 is typo? Mine shoots head of squirrel at 40 yds. I also have 53 Win. 32/20. Both shoot excellent with cast 115gr. Neither shoots jackets well. The bore in Marlin is dark, gun from turn of century but has very good rifling. View attachment 843097
yea it is a 94, i had been looking at 93 marlins looking for a 38-55 i had that on my brain,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ooooh, my favorite configuration, 1/2 octagon with a 2/3 magazine. Nice score! Finally got one myself , an 1894CL with the cut rifling. I was surprised to find that the first run, late 80s, had this rifling, ones from the mid 90s are microgroove. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I did manage to dig up some starline brass. The seller offered me 2 full boxes of Win ammo, I flinched at $55 a box, but at that point had had no luck finding any brass. I do have the Ruger "Buckeye" with the H&R Mag AND the 32/20 cylinder. Now to get the H&R cylinder bored out to 327Mag.
And doing some research on loads in modern guns, I'll crank it up a bit. Paco Kelly and John Taylor publish some impressive velocities with a strong gun. I've put a 2.5x Burris on it.

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
I have a 1894 rifle in 32/20, I’m guessing 1893 is typo? Mine shoots head of squirrel at 40 yds. I also have 53 Win. 32/20. Both shoot excellent with cast 115gr. Neither shoots jackets well. The bore in Marlin is dark, gun from turn of century but has very good rifling. View attachment 843097
I have shot some squirrels with my winnie 92 rifle. lead bullets. unique powder. good times!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Nice score on that one! Sweet looking rifle. Congrats.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Nice rifle! I've always been intrigued by the 32-20. Have a 25-20 but have always wanted the larger cartridge - and a convertible Blackhawk to go along with it! Ha!
I always thought that the Ruger BH (Buckeye) in .32-20 would be nice to go with my Marlin '89 32-20, but they are scarcer than hen's teeth, maybe more $ than the Marlin .
I did buy the other day from a friend, a 7-1/2" Uberti Cattleman in 32-20 and find it very nice companion.
I recently tried some BP loads in both that have been working very well also. I'll try them in our monthly BP cartridge match in a couple weeks.
Though I have bullet molds for it, I have found that the Meister bullet manufactures will ship their bullets' unsized & un-lubed that lets me use a softer lube when shooting BP.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts