Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I load both the 32-20 and the 44-40 and I do have issues with loading the 32-20, but I feel that my trouble is with the Redding seating die. What happens to me is when the ram comes up, if the case is not perfectly centered the case neck opening edge catches the die and I need to wiggle the case as it goes into the seating die. Just the first little bit is all. I feel if the die was beveled just slightly this would not happen. Not a big deal, just slows things down a bit. Both of these cartridges are fun to load and are not that hard to reload with. I'd like to try another brand of 32-20 reloading dies or may be just another seating die.
David,

I'm with Wind here. The R.C.B.S. Cowboy dies are the bees knees.

I have two Rugers in .32-20 , one Blackhawk and one Vaquero, I think their great
Will add a lever gun one day when funds allow

I have 32-20's in TC, Ruger, S+W, Colt and Uberti , and I heartily agree. My favorite caliber in rifle or handgun.I also have a problem on my Dillon.I have to line up the shell on the powder die or I catch the edge and ruin the case.I also have Redding dies, but I use one finger to line it up and have gotten used to it long ago. probably should just get some RCBS dies and be done with it. My all time favorite load is also 10.0 grains of 2400 powder with 100 grain bullet, either cast or jktd. shoots really well in every gun I have. If anyone else out there has any pet loads, I love to hear about them.

Rocky Branch

Rocky I wonder if it is the shell plate not securely holding or centering the case? Have you tried different tension settings on the shell plate? Odd we both have the same issue. Is your shell plate the letter "O"? Slight finger pressure is all I need to center it into the neck expander die. I'll let you know if the problem continues with the RCBS Cowboy die set.

I am going to open myself to scathing contempt on this forum and state that unless I got a 32-20 at a very good price I would stay with the 38 special. I have a 38 I enjoy and it can be loaded with anything from 90 grain bullets to 200 grain. Factory ammo is relatively inexpensive and easy to come by. Mostly I have so many molds and cases for one that I really never bit on getting a 32-20 to match my rifle. It has been tempting but the revolvers seem to go for a cat house price and I just have not bit. A 38 is not a hard pistol to shoot and I have taken all sorts of small game with one and feel lost without one. Not so much that there is no room for both as much as I have also never really bit on the interchangeability need between rifle and pistol. Actually I a 357 rifle that was fun to shoot also but it was a Rossi and I then got a 32-20 Marlin. The Rossi had issues and went down the road.
Never ahd much problem loading for the rifle, but I think that the nickel plated brass is a little more forgiving.

DEP

David -- Thanks for the kind words. I have one set of Redding dies and unfortunately I haven't got anything good to say about them. I do on the other hand have some RCBS Cowboy dies, and it would be very annoying if I were to go on about all the things I do like about them.

View attachment 103609

I use them all on a single stage press without issues. I also have progressive presses and could see where the "gear lash" may create issues with tender cases as in the 32-20. The RCBS Cowboy dies should go a long way towards eliminating these issues.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

The box from Midway with the new die set (RCBS Cowboy) showed up about 20 minutes ago. Looking forward to seeing if they work any different. I let everyone know how they function for me on the Dillon 550. I also picked up a single stage press to see how the Redding dies work on that press.

My all time favorite load is also 10.0 grains of 2400 powder with 100 grain bullet, either cast or jktd. shoots really well in every gun I have. If anyone else out there has any pet loads, I love to hear about them.

Rocky Branch[/QUOTE]

Rocky, my favorite load for the 32-20 Win. In 1984CL Ballard – Lyman 311008 (115gr), Universal Clays @ 4.0 gr, Rem. # 7 ½

Jack

David -- Thanks for the kind words. I have one set of Redding dies and unfortunately I haven't got anything good to say about them. I do on the other hand have some RCBS Cowboy dies, and it would be very annoying if I were to go on about all the things I do like about them.

View attachment 103609

I use them all on a single stage press without issues. I also have progressive presses and could see where the "gear lash" may create issues with tender cases as in the 32-20. The RCBS Cowboy dies should go a long way towards eliminating these issues.

Hey Wind

What are the boxes (Wooden?) under the Golden Pheasant powder for? Are they ammo boxes or :hmmmm: :questionmark:

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

PS
Nice selection of Dies and equipment you got there!!! :congrats:

Hey there Ray -- The Cowboy dies are just a drop in the bucket!! But they are also the ones that get used the most now. That is why they're on the bench, not under it. The boxes are for "ready bullets". They're smaller than my bulk bullet storage boxes and are handier on the bench. They get refilled when needed. They are constructed from bamboo and are stackable with little lids to keep the dust out. The "knobs" are made from 45-70 case heads.

View attachment 103637 View attachment 103638

I must not like them. I only have 6, 1 colt police special, 1 S&W 1905, 1 savage bolt, 1 rem pump & 2 old Marlins. Nope don't like them. I wish I had bought the other Buckeye Ruger when I bought the 10 mm / 38-40. They had them in sets. WW

Again don't laugh at the Jersey Doc for another baby comment. And yes I have been reading my manuals, I have even committed portions to memory (although not this portion). :hmmmm:

A yes or no answer will suffice. Dies are caliber specific; to make .32-20 ammunition you need a .32-20 die. Shell holders can be shared by a family of ammo.

right:questionmark:

John

Great caliber! I loaded for one back in the 70's out in New Mexico...............wish I still had that rifle today! :(

32-20 die problem

hiy there, been out of town,but here's my late reply.dhansen, you're right, it is strange that we have the same problem.I've checked my shell plate,my brass buttons, and the alignment of my base plate and it all seems ok. I'm real curious to see how your new dies work, and if that's the answer, then I'll have to get some. coyote222 thanks for the pet load. I just acquire a mold for 311008, and I'm going to give it a try. Was going to try Unique, but I've
heard that Clays meters better. Thanks for the input, and I'll let you know how the new load works.
Rocky Branch

My favorite handgun ( right now) is a Blackhawk in 327 Federal. It is an 8 shot with a 5 1/2 barrel . You can also shoot 32 S&W long and 32 H&R mag with it. The factory 327 loads are stout, 100gr bullets at 1600fps . I load mine subsonic with 115 gr bullets and it is a great shooter. In fact next year I plan on getting a 32-20 cylinder made for it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.