Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the hypenated bug for a while and I am lookin at the 32-20 in a handgun. Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton both loved them,but some say you should stay with a 38 special, because a 32-20 is "outdated and obsolete". I am considering getting one,but I have heard handloading is very difficult for one. I will use it for small game and steel. What do y'all think. Should I get one or find a different caliber for this task.

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Had a 32 H&R magnum revolver, which was foolishly traded away. 32-20, 32 magnum fills a really useful niche between the 22 magnum and 38 Special. yay

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have my grandfathers 1927 Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20. I love it. Fun to shoot. If you don't reload, Cabelas in my neck of the woods seems to regularly have it. Cool piece of history that is pretty accurate to boot.

After all that, I say yay!

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I like the .32-20 in my '94, and will add a revolver to the mix when the right one comes along. I say yay!

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Do you reload? If you do you will enjoy the 32-20. Elmer Keith writes in his book "SixGuns" about taking an Elk and two Mule deer with his Colt SAA with a 10gr load of A2400 and a 115gr lead bullet. When reloading go slow. I use Redding Dies, but would like to try the RCBS Cowboy die set. I have used Unique, W231, Swiss and A2400 in the 32-20 Inexpensive to reload for. My favorite loads for the 32-20 are costing me about .14 cents a round. I use the same load (10gr. A2400) in my 92 Winchester. It is not a 30-30 or 32WSPL, it is far more mild and pleasant to shoot. It shoots faster and flatter than a 44-40. Not that you cant hit 1800 or 1900 fps with the 44-40 from a rifle. But to answer your question I give the 32-20 two thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm a BIG fan of the 32-20. Economical to shoot. Very accurate. Excellent at range and powerful enough to handle most jobs.

For a while I had hoped to acquire a 32-20 revolver. I happened onto a 32 H&R Ruger Single Six, which is about as perfect as I can imagine. The 32 H&R Magnum is ideally scaled to the Single Six. I've not found that to be the case with the 32-20. The Blackhawk 32-20 is a BIG gun. The DA revolvers I've seen chambered in 32-20 were better scaled but none have appealed to me.

A 22 Ruger Single Six has been one of my longest owned guns. I've killed more critters with it than any other gun in my collection, mostly because it's what I've had on me at the time. Since acquiring the 32 Single Six I've been very impressed by how much better it does everything - longer ranges, harder hitting, accuracy and at current 22lr prices, it's even cheaper to shoot than 22 when I cast my own.

Not knocking the 32-20 in a handgun but for the guns that available in the 32 caliber, I believe the Single Six and the SP101 are as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Yay, Love my 1894 in 32-20 and have shot a lot of reloads through it, cheap shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I don't understand why someone would say reloading the 32-20 is difficult?
I cast and reload for my 1894 in 32-20 and don't have any issues, same as any other cartrages in my opinion. My 1894 32-20 shoots them well.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
TrapperShortround - The 32-20 is for the reloader if you want to get the most use from your firearm. Only slight drawback I had while I owned one was the muzzle blast can be a bit fierce in a confined area (under a tin roof, in a barn, ect). Fun gun to shoot, more efficient that you would think for it's size. If you don't reload save your brass, because you will eventually start loading for your baby. Shenandoah

·
Registered
917 Posts
32-20 is a Beautiful thing one thing nice about them is you can shoot reduced loads without blowback because it is a bottleneck case and seals the gases from doing that. I have a 1894 cowboy limited in 20" barrel and two cimmerons in it and for the money the uberti, taylor and cimmerons are hard to beat. Someday I may sell one of my cimmerons do not need two bought them for cowboy action but quite before getting a chance to use them. Widow

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Check your local Gun shows if you have any for 32-20 ammo. Never know what you might come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I don't understand why someone would say reloading the 32-20 is difficult?
I cast and reload for my 1894 in 32-20 and don't have any issues, same as any other cartrages in my opinion. My 1894 32-20 shoots them well.
Lunar,

Only reason I can think of is from book knowledge, I only just started reloading in general. But Lyman #49 says that the case neck walls are very thin. They recommend seating and crimping in two steps. An improperly loaded seating die can lead to crushed cases.

I know that care in reloading is important and maybe even common sense, but Lyman does not single out many other cartridges in this manner. The only other one I can remember is the .44-40.

John

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I load both the 32-20 and the 44-40 and I do have issues with loading the 32-20, but I feel that my trouble is with the Redding seating die. What happens to me is when the ram comes up, if the case is not perfectly centered the case neck opening edge catches the die and I need to wiggle the case as it goes into the seating die. Just the first little bit is all. I feel if the die was beveled just slightly this would not happen. Not a big deal, just slows things down a bit. Both of these cartridges are fun to load and are not that hard to reload with. I'd like to try another brand of 32-20 reloading dies or may be just another seating die.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Thanks for the tip and advise Wind. I use the RCBS Cowboy series dies in 32WSPL and like those. I will order a set from Midway and see how they compare to the Redding.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
David---

Check Graf & sons also/--- I've gotten all of mine from Grafs--- usually less expensive on price and freight , FWIW

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Lunar,

Only reason I can think of is from book knowledge, I only just started reloading in general. But Lyman #49 says that the case neck walls are very thin. They recommend seating and crimping in two steps. An improperly loaded seating die can lead to crushed cases.

I know that care in reloading is important and maybe even common sense, but Lyman does not single out many other cartridges in this manner. The only other one I can remember is the .44-40.

John
Ha..ha..Crushed cases, yup I sure do every once in a while, gotta admit......but always a quick adjustment and don't loose but one, and that isn't often. I'm ok with that, happens the same with other cals. I load. I used to crush the *&^% outta 45-70's when I first started loading. :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
32-20 RCBS Cowboy set will be here on Tuesday. I'll do some comparisons and post the results. I'll move the Redding dies set from the progressive press and test run them on the single stage press and see if they run smoother on that set up. Was not real bad, but an annoyance when it would happen. What are everyone's thoughts on the Lee collet style FCD for the 32-20?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts