Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your statement that the Lee die, "seems to over-work the case necks", is pretty ambiguous as "seems" often indicates a presumption. I assume you mean it reforms the case neck to a smaller diameter than desired. The 32-20 case neck has taper (as does the case body), the neck measuring .331 at the shoulder and .327 at the case mouth. Have you measured the resulting case after it has been reformed by the Lee die? I think it would also be helpful if posters could advise the reform result with other dies to see if another manufactures die will have a different result.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,701 Posts
Are you lubing the inside of the case neck? If not, you need to. I use a Q-Tip daubed in fine graphite.

Remove the expander plug from the die and size a case. Measure the outside of the neck. Then measure the I.D. If the I.D. is more than 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch smaller than the bullet diameter I would think it's oversized.

This could also be related. Check the SAAMI spec on line to see if the neck brass is too thick. That would be measured after you expand the neck and seat a bullet.

AC

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I got a set of Lee dies with my .32-20, and the sizer die seems to over-work the case necks. Do other brands size the necks more moderately? I wonder if the specs changed when TC started making contenders with a .308 bore.
Andy,

Like others, I have both Lyman and the RCBS Cowboy dies. Both work well. I do not full lenght size, only the neck just short of the shoulder. I load only cast and use a neck expander with a step up for easy bullet start without damage.

If you need a custom size expander, Bullalo Arms has them. However, they are out of stock from time to time.

The cowboy die is a three die set with a M-die.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I cast Ideal 3118 and size .313 for all my 32-20 revolvers. I use Lyman dies that are 40+ years old; they do the job well. I do full length size as I shoot the loads in 6 different Colt and Uberti revolvers. I've never measured my cases since I've never a hint of a problem. Some of my cases are REM-UMC that I bought new back in 1955-56 time frame. They are still going strong.

·
Premium Member
18,178 Posts
32-20 necks are thin, typically .006-.007". Any use of force while seating a bullet in a too-tight neck will result in immediate and permanent case loss. Make haste slowly, those little suckers are spendy! :bandit:

Reactions: bassetman1974
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.