Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using .312 115 gr hard lead bullets with Starline cases and 7.2 grains of unique. Bore looks good all the way through. Will slug it tonight. Wonder why it is keyholing? Are the bores oversize like every other Marlin levergun? Thanks moodyholler

·
Registered
394 Posts
According to bore specs from Brophy, your .312" bullet should be fine. On the other hand, your load of 7.2 grains of Unique is rather warm! Lyman shows a maximum load of 5.5 grains for 1390 FPS out of a 24" barrel in a Model 27-S Marlin. Their starting load is 4.2 grains of Unique for 1110 FPS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't believe the "specs", slug your bore. Use the largest boolit you can easily chamber starting with 4.5 grains of Unique. You may need to go with a softer boolit also. Regards, Woody

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My loading journal shows 8.0 grains for these loads. My Lyman manual shows 6.0 max. I think I have loaded these with 2400 instead of unique as there are no signs of pressure. Will pull all tomorrow rather than chance it. moodyholler

·
Registered
719 Posts
my 25-20..........

moody....my 25-20 likes 2400 better than any other load.....if this helps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kaintuck, thanks, that is what I am shooting in my 25-20 also. I am not sure why I used Unique in these. Thanks, moodyholler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts