Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes life is a case of: this leads to that which leads to something else which produces something interesting, ie, we've had a couple 1894cl receivers around here for some time, and e-gunparts has had 32-20 barrels for a reasonable price just begging to be bought, and the brass has been here for better than a decade, and the bullets are readily available, and and, etc etc... as such, we've added 32-20 CAS velocity (1000-1300fps) lead data to our website [look under levergun studies/data]. The data is for 20 powders (5 charge weights per) and for the standard 115gr rnfp.

In terms of the cartridge/firearm we came away more favorably impressed then when we shot jacketed data 10 years ago. We still don't find the 32-20 to be the target cartridge the 25-20 or 218 are, but with the better loads running just at 1" for 10 shots at 50 yards it surely isn't a bad shooter. Of note: this data includes our first publishing of data using Vectan powders... and now even more believe that at $7/lb and shooting 99% as well as the VVN powders, they're an unnoticed gem waiting to be collected.

Hope others find the data useful... and do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
Greg,
Thanx for the data, I've been trying to get an 1889 in 32W to shoot for me, I'm waiting on a .314 Lee SWC mould. The rifling is worn and I'm sure oversize, it currently keyholes a .311 RNFP and shoots all over the place at 35yds. What I have managed to get though is good groups from an old Colt Army Special in 32-20, 7.5gr of 2400 under the Lee RNFP, even without the gascheck. Only problem is it shoots about 6" to the left at 25yds, ah well, these things are sent to try us, {:eek:).
The 256 WinMag Levermatic, and the circa 1903 M1894 in 25-20 though are real tack drivers. Prowling around Ebay now for a suitable mould for the caliber. Been running 12gr of 2400 under the Rem bulk 86grJFP, but I'm sure that the old barrel would appreciate some cast lead.
The 256 loves 15gr of 2400 under same. I'll drag the chrony out soon and start getting an idea of velocity, deadly accurate, and I love the short throw on the Levermatic, too bad it's got such a small clip, it's REAL ez to pump 5 rounds downrange in a hurry and keep that can a hoppin'.
Thanks for all the work, and the continuing updates,,,,,,,,.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
316 Posts
Greg,
Thanx for the data, I've been trying to get an 1889 in 32W to shoot for me, I'm waiting on a .314 Lee SWC mould. The rifling is worn and I'm sure oversize, it currently keyholes a .311 RNFP and shoots all over the place at 35yds. What I have managed to get though is good groups from an old Colt Army Special in 32-20, 7.5gr of 2400 under the Lee RNFP, even without the gascheck. Only problem is it shoots about 6" to the left at 25yds, ah well, these things are sent to try us, {:eek:).
The 256 WinMag Levermatic, and the circa 1903 M1894 in 25-20 though are real tack drivers. Prowling around Ebay now for a suitable mould for the caliber. Been running 12gr of 2400 under the Rem bulk 86grJFP, but I'm sure that the old barrel would appreciate some cast lead.
The 256 loves 15gr of 2400 under same. I'll drag the chrony out soon and start getting an idea of velocity, deadly accurate, and I love the short throw on the Levermatic, too bad it's got such a small clip, it's REAL ez to pump 5 rounds downrange in a hurry and keep that can a hoppin'.
Thanks for all the work, and the continuing updates,,,,,,,,.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
433 Posts
Greg,
thanks for doing this. I bought the 1894CL 32-20 back in 88 and it's a shooter. First cartridge I reloaded for. I'm using 4.3 gr Unique with a 118gr RNFP PB lead for my standard load and it chronos right in the ballpark where your information is. Also had good luck and accurate shooting with 100gr and 85 gr jacketed for HV loads using 2400 and Blue Dot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts