Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that 310 grain in .44 special got to looking so good, I had to do something to keep me from getting stupid. Picked up another .44 magnum. Ex-wife made off with my custom stocked SBH, and the Charter does kick more than that .44 magnum did. Also made off with my holster. How much call can there be for a LEFT HANDED, break away, shoulder holster will accommodate 7 ½” – 8½” barrel .44 magnums? She also made off with the holster for the Charter.
Anyway, will work with my old standby, 6 grains of Bullseye, and some other powders; can actually load the magnum lighter in working loads than the special. But no data for H-110! Heavier bullets in new manuals, or lighter bullets in older ones. Don’t like to load heavy, unless I have to. Most loads on the net are heavy. 30 odd years ago I used to shoot 2400, then I tried H-110; wouldn’t shoot 2400 now, on a bet.
Anyone have an idea how light a load of H-110, thinking maybe 20 grains, will work with a 310 grain bullet in a .44 magnum?

·
Registered
309 Posts
You don't say what you are shooting it in. 20 Grains is what I would consider Max out of a Smith & Wesson. Not sure I would shoot that load in a Taurus, I just don't have the faith in them. I would max out a ruger at whatever load you have for the 320. From memory it seems like 22 grains. But don't go from my memory if you have a book for 320 grain. Hard casts are more forgiving than jacketed for warmish loads. Then again I don't go with the "every shot needs to be balls to the wall" theory. Shoot what is comfortable to you. If 1100 fps is more shootable to you than 1300 don't hurt to stick with 1100 fps. IMHO

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear Paw Jack,
This is the start of an old thread that ran it’s course and has now popped back up without the accompanying pages after the server crash.

I learned to shoot pistol with .44 magnum, single hand. With light loads, around 900 fps, is very sweet with small grips. Heavier loads, around 1,600 fps (215-260 grains), is very controllable and comfortable with large grips, but looses the sweet.

Not for hunting; don’t need more than 40 yards effective range and fast follow up shots might be important. And I am wanting the sweet back, might get my hairy behind to the range more often.

Local deer have been acting peculiar. Have been leaving good grazing, sans snow, to come to the people area; prefer in town and pasture to better grazing in BLM. Seem to find comfort in cars, people, dogs. And they don’t check (scan) the people area, just the BLM. And they’re coming in at peculiar hours. Ain’t proper for elk to be coming in early in the afternoon, either.

I like a pistol that points and my new .44 points and feels like a smaller gun, with over twice the barrel length I prefer. Wanting to push about 100 fps or so faster than my light load powder and slower than my heavy load powder, and try the heavier bullet. What I find in manuals doesn’t jive. I’m used to being able to find a general consensus between several sources on a load. Now, each source’s data suggests the other’s data is bogus and dangerous. This trying to go moderate with a heavier bullet has got me as nervous as a Democrat in church.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts