Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Depending on who interprets the lettering a 30AW might mean a 30a with walnut stocks, a 30as might mean a 30a with beech stocks,I m not real sure what the lettering system means, I’ve heard many contradicting claims through the years,I actually don’t believe 30 AW means a Walmart sold Marlin,although you probably could buy a 30AW from Walmart.My 30AS came with a cap ,not a barrel band,it also came from with extensive water and extinguisher damage and was $25 o t d ,it is now a 30 AW ( brand new unused New Haven barrel),and though the beech stocks were salvaged and refinished beautifully by me,It now has proper walnut stocks also beautifully oil finished by me with a bullseye and a cap not a band.it’s also being rust blued by me,Collectors in the far future may assume it to be a New Haven custom shop creation. Unless I develop a penchant for checkering it will stay smooth walnut.the most recent value quote for a 30AW was $890,but you could probably find one used ,if your lucky,and shop small backwoods stores,for about $400-500. …or even$25.00.if you don’t mind some work..and a little more money!

Attachments

· Registered
1,551 Posts
Any body know what the final grade finish on the flats of the lever receivers was at the original Marlin plant in New Haven?im thinking 400 on standard production rifles

· Registered
1,551 Posts
If you apply a peep or scope,get a folding sight ,sight it in nicely apply the peep make sure they both agree,then fold it down out of the way it’s always there in case something happens( use your imagination) you always have it to check your zero or even if you need to use the peep on your other Marlin,or drop it ,hit it or the scope goes south.I use the small dovetail insert folding sight for this use ,I’ve even used both at the same time, it’s really no obstruction at all, kind of a 3 point sight.if it does bother you use the folding sight insert- it’s more useful than a dovetail filler blank,if you don’t agree with me,that’s alright.I’ve had one on my Deerhead carbine ,(1966) forever,I don’t remember but it might have come on it from the factory,Marlin did that ,my 1895ss came that way too.( 1985)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts