Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Rusty
It depends...the aw does not have walnut (birch instead I believe) but for a working gun that will spend much of its life in the field, that wood would not bother me (see what I did there?). It doesn't have the end cap on the pistol grip like the 336 but again, a working gun does not need that. I also like the old style front sight and barrel bands in front of the sight on the 30aw.
Prices are also subjective...in my area, a 30aw in very good condition would be $350 to $400 for sure (with a higher asking price much of the time).
As I have some 336's, I would be very happy with a very clean 30aw in that price range...add a receiver sight, dial it in and go shoot some hogs.
RT4

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like Richard said, the 30aw is basically a 336 with different furniture and some exterior hardware. Internally they are identical. Not sure when your deer/hog hunting begins, but if you are happy with the aw, go for it. The price is fair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I'm back to the 30aw.
It just feels right in the hands and I don't mind the hardwood stock. It is still new and unfired.
I plan on shooting with just the iron sights. What type of accuracy can be reasonably expected?
Any tips on things to make sure it's a consistent shooter?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Welcome from New England. Give it regular diet of the same ammo that you choose after trying some out and you will get it dialed in. Just don't run it too hot when shooting so the barrel doesn't potentially shift. Let it cool down for a bit between either 3 to 5 shot rounds.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Rusty, My advice would be to get some good iron sights. I put peep sights on all the Marlins I own that are not scoped. XS and Skinner are two good ones. I think I get better groups with a peep sight too. I never cared for the factory iron sights. Good luck and post some pics

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Depending on who interprets the lettering a 30AW might mean a 30a with walnut stocks, a 30as might mean a 30a with beech stocks,I m not real sure what the lettering system means, I’ve heard many contradicting claims through the years,I actually don’t believe 30 AW means a Walmart sold Marlin,although you probably could buy a 30AW from Walmart.My 30AS came with a cap ,not a barrel band,it also came from with extensive water and extinguisher damage and was $25 o t d ,it is now a 30 AW ( brand new unused New Haven barrel),and though the beech stocks were salvaged and refinished beautifully by me,It now has proper walnut stocks also beautifully oil finished by me with a bullseye and a cap not a band.it’s also being rust blued by me,Collectors in the far future may assume it to be a New Haven custom shop creation. Unless I develop a penchant for checkering it will stay smooth walnut.the most recent value quote for a 30AW was $890,but you could probably find one used ,if your lucky,and shop small backwoods stores,for about $400-500. …or even$25.00.if you don’t mind some work..and a little more money!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Any body know what the final grade finish on the flats of the lever receivers was at the original Marlin plant in New Haven?im thinking 400 on standard production rifles

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good buy Rusty....I feel $400 was a great price in todays market.
As others have said....I would recommend getting a receiver peep sight.
There are many models to choose from. Some mount on the left side of receiver..
Into the 2 small holes there. First picture.... Others mount on the 2 rear holes on top of receiver, second picture. ......I would remove the rear barrel mounted sight and fill that dovetail with a filler blank.
Enjoy that new Marlin ! Post some pictures .......
Plant Wood Musical instrument Tints and shades Natural material
Wood Air gun Revolver Tool Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
You guys do know the original post and follow ups are four years old.
Looks like Rusty hasn't been back on since Oct. 2018,still good stuff though.
Nice peeps RS. I'm getting ready to take one off my SC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts