Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - new guy here. I picked up a 30AW a few weeks ago and have realized that I absolutely hate the factory sights. I have a scope that I bought from a friend a while ago when I was planning on buying a different rifle, but I mounted it and it just doesn't look right. Plus, I'm mainly going to be using the rifle for deer hunting and range fun; so I'm not really sure I need a scope (I live in PA so most of the hunting is in the woods and I won't be taking 100+ yard shots at deer). I was wondering what kind of open sights people like and where I can find a decent deal.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I like peep sights when not using a scope. Williams and Skinner are both good choices. The old Redfields are also very good, but a little harder to find.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
XS, Skinner, and Williams WGRS are all good "set it and forget it" receiver mounted peeps.

Lyman 66, Williams FP or 5D, and older Redfield receiver sights allow for greater range of adjustment. Williams offers "twilight" apertures, they have a brass ring inside the aperture rim to aid in use during lower light conditions. I prefer those apertures. They fit the Lyman and Williams receiver mounted peeps.

Front sights are a mixed bag. I quit using the stock round bead style, including firesights. They don't offer a precision point for aiming for my eyes. I prefer a Skinner front sight. If I need some help picking it up in low light I paint an orange or white spot at the top of the rearward facing surface. If that doesn't work I claim it's Miller time and head back to the truck.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I'd consider the Skinner peep sights (scroll down the main menu here to see), maybe a lower powered fixed scope, or perhaps along the lines of a 1-5x20 variable if you prefer. You might be able to pick up something you like used here in good shape if asking in the Member For Sale section here too...?
Good luck to you.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and BFPGW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, I think I'm gonna go with a Williams WGRS, now I just need to decide if I want to paint the front sight to make it stand out more or replace it with something else.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Figure with those like the WGRS, XS, and Skinner you will need a taller front sight. That opens up all kinds of possibilities!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts