Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Marlin 30AS it has a Dovetail front site direcly on the barrel, and a newer style marlin folding rear. when I fist shot the gun it shot really high, I ordered a taller from site from Brokmans and now at 50 yards it shoots point of aim with the site on the lowes position?? and at 100 yards with so site change it shoots the same?????? my qestion is, is this normal on the 30AS's to shoot so high??? there is no way I can lower the rear site anymore or raise the front any more.

Also being as this type of barrel is nolonger made by marlin, should I not swap it out for a COWBOY? I kind like the look of the COWBOY barrels but its about 360 bucks for the conversion, just wondering if its worth it

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
If you are dead on at 100 yards on the lowest setting I would call that good. Any deer between the barrel and 100 yards is as good as steaks on the grill.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If you are on the last notch, file the notch, or you could take the "ladder"? out all together and let the leaf rest on the barrel. Both these will drop the POI a little more.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can tweak Point of Impact by tightening or loosening the barrel bands. also..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I take the site elivator out the rear site will flop around (its the foling type) and my 30AS does not have any barrel bands like the 336.
I'll be see'n a friend thats a welder I'll ask him if he can maybe weld the front site any taller.........If not then its into the parts pile for the gun.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Your problem is probably in the rear sight, not the front. My 30AS came with a very short simple blade rear. I believe someone has "upgraded" that to a new taller folding sight. My factory front sight is .450 tall. William's or Marble Arms will sell you a front sight up to .570 inch tall. Ashley Outdoors (XS) will sell a sight up to .600 tall. That is enough to lower point of impact more than 2 feet at 100 yards with the rear sight you have on the rifle now.

Alternately, you can put an original 30AS rear sight back on the rifle for $14:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8560&title=REAR+SIGHT+W/ELEVATOR+(AS)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip! I didnt know that the original rear stite was changed on the gun. I'll have to give Williams a call and order onw of those really tall front sites......... lets hope this works

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem solved!

Ok B4 I went and ordered another new site, I took my front site from Brokmans and had a guy weld it up 1/8. I then reshaped the weld to conform with the site, after a little file'n at the range I know have the gun shooting right were I want it!!!!!!! Thanks all :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Re: problem solved!

RJSIXGUN said:
Ok B4 I went and ordered another new site, I took my front site from Brokmans and had a guy weld it up 1/8. I then reshaped the weld to conform with the site, after a little file'n at the range I know have the gun shooting right were I want it!!!!!!! Thanks all :wink:
Free has always been my favorite price. :lol: Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts