Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With everything else going on here today I thought I'd post an actual Marlin question. I've found a like new 1988 30AS in which I'm mildly interested. I already have a 2006 336C and a 2008 336A...ones a barrel band, the other an end cap. So, can those of you with experience with all these models convince me why I need a 30AS too?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Whats the cost?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Does your A have a short mag. tube? If it does, then you need the AS with the full length tube. Otherwise, see above answers. DP

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
image.jpg
Here's my 336A. Full tube, xlr wood, and a good shooter. I passed on the 30AS. They're easy to find around here and it's just too much like my other 336's. Price was $350, which seems average for that model. I'll buy another 30-30 to go with the others, but it's going to have some unique features, like a 24" barrel, 18" barrel, straight stock, etc.

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
My end caped Marlins shoot tighter groupings than my two barrel band carbines. I would rather have the end capped Glenfield 30/Marlin 30AS/Marlin 30AW/etc---everyday of the week.
DSCN0671.JPG

·
Registered
786 Posts
From what I recall, the 30AS mechanics are pretty much identical to the 336. Back in the 80's the 30AS came with a scope from the factory for around $289. The 336 had nicer lumber and retailed for $299 without a scope. This was in Canada, of course. 30AS was my first lever action rifle and I sold it decades ago. Have my eye on another one. The current owner just doesn't know yet that he will be selling it to me :biggrin:

·
Registered
692 Posts
There is something about a Glenfield that calls to me. Perhaps it is its no frills simplicity and yet has the heart of the most expensive Marlin. I would certainly buy one without hesitation provided its condition was good. Maybe thats why I'm completely satisfied with my lowly 336W. Its a Glenfield with different stampings on the barrel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts