Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a like new pre-owned Marlin 30AS today. This is my forst lever action rifle so I've been reading up on this great web site. I learned where this model is an economy version of the 336. One of the differences I read about is the 30AS has a stained birch stock (supposedly not checkered) versus a walnut checkered stock.

My rifle seems to have a checkered stock. My question is if the stock I have is normal? I've posted a picture and hope it comes through. Oh yeah, I got the rifle (manufactured in 1998) in like new condition, a Browning strap, a BSA Deerhunter 4x 34mm scope, and a Slip-On Pachmeyer butt stock pad for $325. Do you all think I got a decent deal? Like I said, first lever action rifle. Thanks!

Best regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to Marlin Owners, the price you paid is about average. You might have someone look at the stocks, they actually look like walnut in the picture. Could have come that way, could have been changed. They came in so many variations you never know what you'll see. They did make birch stocks with checkering.

The 30AS is a great rifle, I like the forend with the metal cap instead of the barrel band.

Hang around on here and you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Some of the 30AS models had checkering pressed into the stock, especially the latest couple of years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. I do plan to spend some more time on this site. It's amazing how much info and advice is here. I look forward to hitting the range very soon and giving the 30as a workout! Have a great weekend.

Best regards,

Steve

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Steve, welcome to Marlin Owners!!!. Hope you enjoy yourself here. Lots of great folks here and tons of good information on all things Marlin. Y'all take care, John.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Welcome to MOs from NE Florida Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
sculver
You did just fine with that deal. That rig is ready to hunt. Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Welcome to MO - and first thing you need to do is pull off that butt pad and check the wood under it. If it has been on a long time the pad will leach out the finish on the stock and you will have a two tone stock with a big ring all around it. You should never leave those rubber sleeves on a stock. I slip them on when I use the rifle and take them off as soon as I get home from the outing. I speak from personal experience and when I showed it to a gunsmith he said "NEVER LEAVE RUBBER ON FINISHED WOOD - - PERIOD".

If you post a picture of the stock without the pad it may help identify the wood by some of us M.O.'s who kinda specialize in wood.

GB45

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
That definitely looks like birch, might be a set of stocks off of a 336 A (The new model that had the birch stocks and forearm end cap)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Golfbuddy45 said:
Welcome to MO - and first thing you need to do is pull off that butt pad and check the wood under it. If it has been on a long time the pad will leach out the finish on the stock and you will have a two tone stock with a big ring all around it. You should never leave those rubber sleeves on a stock. I slip them on when I use the rifle and take them off as soon as I get home from the outing. I speak from personal experience and when I showed it to a gunsmith he said "NEVER LEAVE RUBBER ON FINISHED WOOD - - PERIOD".

If you post a picture of the stock without the pad it may help identify the wood by some of us M.O.'s who kinda specialize in wood.

GB45
GB45:

Thanks for tip. I've followed your advice and removed the rubber butt pad. I've also taken a few closer pictures of the wood in the event someone knows what I've got! Thanks again to you and the others who have left comments and helped.

Best regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Its still birch. :)

That scope looks like it might pop your eyebrow. You may want to put regular rings on it that place the scope forward.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice one, Steve. I think your price was just fine. Good deals where a guy "steals" a rifle are out there, but even though it wasn't a steal, you did good!

Yeah. That scope is so far back my eyeball would touch the lens itself if I cheeked your rifle! :D

Steve, it sure looks like birch, and some nice stuff too. At bare minimum, the forearm has some nice strings running through the grain.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I agree with the closeup pics that it is birch due to the grain but it looks very nice. I think the scope base may have been mounted in reverse and that is why the scope is so far back. You should take the scope rings off then reverse the base as it is mounted on the rifle then remount the rings and scope. It should look more like these:

GB45

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Welcome to MO. Thanks for sharing your AS, My .30-30 is also an AS. I didn't know that they ever came with checkered stocks. So I learned something tonight. Thanks for sharing your new Marlin. RevDerb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Golfbuddy45 said:
I agree with the closeup pics that it is birch due to the grain but it looks very nice. I think the scope base may have been mounted in reverse and that is why the scope is so far back. You should take the scope rings off then reverse the base as it is mounted on the rifle then remount the rings and scope. It should look more like these:

GB45
GB45:

You have an eagle eye. I would never have noticed it but you are dead on. The base was mounted backward! I've reversed it and re-mounted the scope and all is perfect. When I first looked at this rifle I had a hard time getting my eye relief. I thought it was the length/style of the scope. Now that it's on the right way it's perfect. THANKS!

Best regards,

Steve

P.S.
Those are some very nice rifles you have in the picture.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Thanks - You are looking at my personal case of MARLINITIS - - First I bought the 1894SS .44 Magnum (2nd from the top) then the 336SS .30-30 (top), then the 1895GS .45-70 (3rd from top) then the twin 1894CSS .357 Magnums, (4th and 5th from the top). All Stainless Steel models and all great shooters on paper - - - I only target shoot - not a hunter at all.

GB45

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GB45:

How do you like your carbines in .44 Mag and .357 Mag? I was thinking about buying a Hi-Point Carbine in .40 S&W just for some fun plinking. Now that I've been reading up on Marlin's I see where they have rifles chambered in handgun rounds. I do a lot of handgun shooting and most all my rifles are of the AR design. I like the thought of having a rifle chambered in a handgun round to have for sun at the range and unwelcome two legged critters.

Any words of advice on the Marlin in handgun rounds for me to consider? I may be in the market for another Marlin sooner than I thought! Thanks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a High Point carbine in 9mm. It's accurate enough, but it's just too hard to rack the slide back to chamber a round. I ordered a Marlin Camp Nine to replace it and will be selling the High Point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts