Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking about having my 30AS re-chambered for the 307 win cartridge and was wondering if the system of the 30AS can handle the significantly higher preassure of the 307 win, or if I should go for softer loads with the old lady?!
Thanks,
thecyclone

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
It can be "done", but you would have to handload it to keep the pressures down. It is not practical, but it can be done, by someone. For the money you would spend, you could put a little more with it and get a used .308ME. Now, I played with a 30-30 Ackley Improved, and you can get very useful velovities out of it, but in a 20" barrel, the Hornady Lverev. factory load gives you the same thing. Out of a 24" 30-30, the Hornady Lvrev ammo gets the full poop. I really like the 30-30, and the Ackley version, but in the Ackley in no way will you come close to .307 vel. or 300 savage vel. w/o super high pressures. Plus, I found it to be finicky to get consistent accuracy. It was a fun project, but for the money I put in it...I could have bought a new .308ME. For around $200, Ray Noneman can rebarrel you 30AS with a take-off Marlin barrel in 35 remington, then, with the Hornady LE ammo, you have more oomph. Something to think about?

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Buy a 308 ME and save your eyes and fingers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There was a reason that Marlin did not chamber the 336 to 307 Win, and yet they did for 356 Win. The 307 has too much pressure! KB!!!!!!!!! The next person to own that gun may not be gun savvy and order himself up a box of factories and hurt himself badly. I would be surprised if someone will do this job anyway.

There are many 'good' things to rechamber a 30-30 to.

Try a 375 Win, you might like it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Call Regan Nonneman.

http://www.leveractions.com/

If you are really interested in doing this, he is the guy to talk to. By the way, the only available factory loading for this round is well below the design pressure. Out of my 19 inch barrel, the 180 grain bullet shoots at about 2300 fps. I'm not sure what this translates to in chamber pressure but I'm quite sure it is well below the design pressure.

The 307W in a 336 is not a cartridge to pursue if you are not a reloader. You can certainly load for it safely however your top safe speed will be a bit under the 308ME factory rounds. Still, there are good reasons to use this round. The first is that you can use 308W loading gear and brass for your tools and components.

My 19 inch rifle shoots 160 grain ftx bullets just under 2500 fps accuratly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts