Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting it broke in a little and the scope dialed in and comfortable with things, I tried Hornady 160 gr, 140 gr, and Remington's 150 gr factory loads. Both Hornady loads I had great groups, the 140's were tighter though, the Remington I could group well, but not touching, I don't think I would be happy at 100 yds. I was thinking of using the 140 gr monoflex for my hunting rounds. Today it set in that they will be. Now I have some empty brass to reload and tweak. :biggrin: Can't say how I am loving the gun enough! :love: Working on a name. I bet this one gets handed down, hopefully for many generations.

308 ME first outing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a 5 shot group w/the 140s. I flinched on the flier... Longest bay my son and I could get on and shoot together, only 50 yds, but I will take it. Time behind the trigger and with my son. I am heading to the lease next weekend, hopefully will find some pork chops on the hoof to do further testing with. :eating:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just got my 338mx and am thinking the same about it as you yours, "this one gets handed down"
havent gotten to shoot mine yet when I bought it the store was out of ammo, and the 10 stores between where I bought it and my buddies house where I shoot didn't have any either

what kind of glass did you put on yours?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm in silver. This is my first Leupold, and I am thinking why did it take me so long to try one. A bit high powered for what I needed but it was silver (primary requirement) and on sale at a very good price (never hurts). I am using the DNZ one piece mount and so far it is worth the price. I have never seen .338 me ammo in stock around here while I was debating between the two and can find Hornady 160 grain at a couple of the many stores I frequent, only one has had the 140 grain (one I like and want more of), so I know your ammo frustration.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Congrats Buddy!!...now you can show the non-believers what a REAL levergun can do..the pigs should be very afraid right now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts