Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About this time three years ago my local gunpusher called me me and said an ol' boy was in a bind and had a 308MX he would take $400 for and it was like new. I bought it and topped it with a Leupold VX 2 3-9X scope. It shot out of this world but like an idiot I let my brother borrow it during deer season. He proceeded to kill a few with it and ended up buying it from me.
I have been trying to make myself believe I didn't need a "long range" lever. but I can't talk myself out of it. I have thought about BLRs in 308 or even 300WSM. I have thought even more about a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and still want one. BUT, my love of Marlin leverguns has won out again and I have made a deal on another 308MX. I gave a lot of thought about the 338MX but already have a BLR-81 in 358. I think that the 308MX will give me the reach to make ethical shots to between 250 and 300 yards. 300 yards is my personal max and most of the "open" places I would be much closer. Hopefully the factory ammo or my own handloads will provide the accuracy needed to be my levergun with "reach." This time I will mount my favorite scope of all time on the 308MX, a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x in Talley rings. I think that this will give me all the reach I need in the occasional clearcuts I hunt.
What do you think of my intended setup?
Goat

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I can hear the sizzle of the steaks on the grill :) Should work great. I had seen that you scored on the 308MX in the for sale forum. Way to go!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I bought My 308 MX because I bought a 338 MX and had to send it back but I also wanted to own both in the series and the 308 MX is one flat shooter! I'm starting to work up some different loads for it to see what she will do. With hornady factory FTX it is very accurate and It is my go to Rifle. Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.