Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not find the answer so I figured someone here would know. I recently purchased a 336 30-30, LOVE IT! I already have skinners on it and was surprised to see how accurate it was. (shame on me)

As most of you know Marlinitis sets in quick, therefore, I am looking into buying another Marlin. I am looking at the 308mx. I figured I would have 150yds and in covered with the 30-30 and 150-400yds covered with the 308mx. Anything past that i wouldn’t take a shot anyway.

My question is what is the difference between the 308mx and the 308XLR other than the stainless, laminate and different barrel length. I am more concerned about rifling, are both ballard rifling or is one micro groves (MX) and one ballard (XLR) and if so is there a significant difference in accuracy past 200yds.

Thanks for your assitance,

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Both are Ballard type rifling.

The difference is the XLR issue is stainless with a 24" barrel. The MX sports a 22" barrel, is blued and walnut as God intended rifles to be.

I have both and enjoy them emensly... worked on the trigger of the MX and it is one of my most accurate rifles, 1.25", 5 shot groups are no problem and sub 1" happen about half the time.

The XLR is a fine rifle but is rather heavy. I would like it better if the trigger pull were as favorable my MX. As is she is accurate but not superbly as is my MX.

Ss

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Of course, since you already have a 30 caliber, why buy another? Use the 30-30 LE ammo in your 336, and step up the the 338 ME in either the 338 MX or the 338 MXLR.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hal, i just thought the 30-30 wouldnt get me out to 300-400yds if something presented itself even with the LE ammo. I figure 30-30 0-150yds and then 308 200-400yds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
as long as you dont have to shoot across the grand canyon and and dont need a bullet heavyer than 160 grs the 308 is a great round.
ballistically the 308 winchester and the 30-06 are very close out to 600 yds with a 150 gr bullet,the biggest advantage with the 30-06 and the 338 is they have the capacity to handle heavy bullets op to 220grs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love my 308mx, one of my nicest looking gus forsure. Really glad I didnt get the xlr with the.bb stainless (love the walnut and bluing). I did alot of reserch before buying and the mx got really good accracy reviews. I have had no complaints about accuracy at all. It shoots as well as I do if you know what mean ;D only change I would make is swopping my redfield 2x7 for a 4x12... That is how well it shoots.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Skookumrob said:
Love my 308mx, one of my nicest looking gus forsure. Really glad I didnt get the xlr with the.bb stainless (love the walnut and bluing). I did alot of reserch before buying and the mx got really good accracy reviews. I have had no complaints about accuracy at all. It shoots as well as I do if you know what mean ;D only change I would make is swopping my redfield 2x7 for a 4x12... That is how well it shoots.

when your eyes get over 50 every little bit helps 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts