Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on the Cabela's website & the 308ME scope to match the LE rounds is only $39.99. I know that not everyone here likes them, but for $39.99 what do you have to lose. It limited to stock on hand. Thought someone might want to know.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Seems like a good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Every body to his own..... Ford... Chevy.... Dodge...... I only have leupolds on all 13 rifles.... Have a friend that bought one of these for hunting season.. When we went to check mine but sight his in ... I was surprised at the scope...... looked good thru it...... He killed 6 deer with it this year...... Good or maybe great... for the money.... Alvan

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
What do I have to lose? No disrespect meant at all but at dawn and dusk several minutes of ability to harvest our quarry. that's all. ;)

Dave 8)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just went to Cabelas online and clicked on it to see if it was still available. You cannot add it to the shopping cart. It shows as being unavailable.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I tryed to order one last week and they were out of stock! I thought that was a great deal when I saw it, they have changed them a little bit so they might have been the older ones they were trying to get rid of. I bought one for my 338 mx at $99.00 and ended up putting it on my 308 mx and its clear and brite and have had no problems with it at all so I think it was worth $99.00 Dennis

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
They will stand behind anything with the Cabelas name on it so you don,t have anything to lose.On the other hand,Cabelas appears to play games with their sale ads.I went to their store on the first day of a sale to get a snow camo parka and bibs and a hat.Not only did they not have em,they said they don,t even know if the stuff will ever come in.That,s back in mid Jan.They supposed to get me a set from another store but I haven,t heard from them yet.The manager says this happens to them all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I said this before. My brother bought the 338ME scope for his 338. When he got it and he compared it to his Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 that he has on his 450, he said they weren't even close. He sent it back to Cabela's and is buying another Nikon. I think they are a gimmick scope and really aren't that good optically. And for them to work accurately, you have to shoot the velocity of the factory LE ammo.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The scope Lance is mentioning is what I have on my 338MXLR and it is good upto 300yds with the LE ammo. After that, it does not match up. I think for my new to me 30-30 I will try the Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 since I do not plan on shooting any animals past 200yds with it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Please don't buy any Chicom junk. Remember Tienanmen Square!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: 308ME Cabelas Scope $39.99

What a nice day! went out with my new 308mx and My cheap crappy Cabela's pine ridge caliber specific dirty chi com scope and it just drove nails! some of us just cant afford Leupold's $400.0 to $500.00 scopes! I buy American when I can but go to Costco or walmart or cabelas where I have to shop because of my Income level. So for now until I can afford a nice American made Scope I'll just keep using my cheep com my nail driving Cabelas caliber specific scope! Just to be fair Idid buy a new Redfield 3x9 to day for My 338 if and when I ever get it back. it looks as clear as the Pine ridge scope does. Dennis

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I could never see payin as much or more for a scope than what the rifle costs.But who am I to say,I,m an iron site shooter. ;D On another note,when I do buy a scope,it will be a Redfield. ;)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I just got a new Cabela's catalog Saturday, New Spring 2011, they have the nikon prostaff 3-9x40 scope for $99.99 Specify BB-71-1747 Code 432. Also the 2-7x32 for $94.99 Specify BB-71-1747 Code 430. I don't think you can beat the 2-7 nikon on any Marlin, I even have one of the AP-realtree on my new Marlin XS7C 308 win.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The true test of a scope is in low light and the amount of eye fatigue caused by the scope when looking through it for extended periods of time. When it comes to scopes you get what you pay for. I have a box of cheap scopes, there is a reason they are sitting in a box and not on top of a dependable hunting rifle. I have learned the hard way. With all the money I have spent on maginal scopes over the years I could of had a top of the line Leupold or Swarovski.

I figure I can't afford to not put a good scope on a rifle. Buy the time I figure what I have spent on the rifle, getting ready for the hunt, waiting for a year or longer, the cost of a hunting permit, vacation time, travel time, and possibly the chance of a lifetime of taking a 190 or 200 class buck, or huge bull elk, moose or what ever game it may be, I'm not about to trust it all on a $40-100 dollar scope. I have been there looking through my biniocs being able to clearly see a nice buck only to pull up my rifle and not be able to clearly make out the deer in my bargin, almost as good as scope. I have several rifles that scope sitting on top cost more than the rifle. Doesn't matter how well the rifle shoots, you can't hit the target if you can't clearly see it. I have been on my way home or back to camp with shooting time left because of my choice of scope, now I get every second of shooting time I possibly can in the field.

In the end though, the only person that has to be happy with your choice of scope is you. I have been unhappy with several of my choices in the past and have a box of scopes to show for it along with the bad field experiences that dont fit in the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts