Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this bullet with the new LE powder? I know it's a tough bullet, should be awesome on elk, and pretty fast out of the 308ME. I get slightly over 2350fps with it in my old 30-30 Ackley and a handful of Varget. It was a safe load in my rifle, but warm for sure, I got faster, but had to back down to this velocity for safety. That's the main problem with this round. That's why I wanted a 308ME, no more fireforming, agonizing over a 20" barrels velocity,ha! I love 30-30's, but can't seem to keep one, I just lean toward the 300 Savage/308 levels for out here.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Hey preacher,

I have not tried that bullet/powder combo but it sure sounds like it would be good match.
I had some success with the Remington 170gr RNCL and Re15, then I found the FTX bullets.
Loaded those over Re15 and they will make meat ;)
Now I have the LE powder and am working up my rendition of the factory FTX.
And then they released the 140gr MFT - so many bullet/powder combinations and so little time :D
Also somewhere in that mix I found a 338MX that I had to have, I have not yet bought the dies for that one but I will :)

-chris

·
Registered
723 Posts
I haven't tried that combo yet, and I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the Speer 170 gr Hotcors. I have loaded a bunch of the old Speer 150grFN Hotcors using Varget, and I a group loaded up using 2520 that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. The loads using Varget shoot 5 shot groups of 1" or less at 100yds. I haven't been able to chrono any of the loads yet, but I am expecting the velocity of approx 2450-2500fps. I can't wait to try the 2520 loads as I should be getting higher velocities.

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forget where I got these 2 boxes, but I found them online somewhere. I am not sure the Speer 170 would be a better elk bullets than the 140 Monoflex, but I like heavy bullets usually, plus I have them. I am in no hurry to load them yet, I have several boxes of the 160FTX factory ammo, shoots like a dream. When I do finally get around to loading this round, I am going to stick to the LE powder, makes more sense for what I want ("Power, more power") ha.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the ftx loads measured at 35.5gr for my 30-30 all i did was bump it uo to 35.8 which is still under the 40gr max ,i didnt chrono them but ,they will hit a six oz. water bottle at 200 yds out of my micro groove barrell. :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
The way I look at it the 308MX - XLR was built for the FTX bullet after Hornady came out with their Leverevolution ammo. I did load up some Rem. 170gr. back when FTX bullets weren't available. I even ran 307W/356W brass through 308ME dies to form 308ME brass when 308ME brass wasn't available. Now I have LVR powder Speer 150gr. 3 boxes I picked up on Gunbroker and about 600 308ME cases. But the FTX bullets are so accurate that I won't wast components on other bullets at this time.

T ;D NY

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
On good side I just looked at HDY. #8 book's data and the 170gr. FP. is listed at a velocity of 2500fps, 22"barrel, WLR, LVR MAX. 41.9gr. I do have a few boxes of HDY. 170gr. FP. I think that is a range project.

T ;) NY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts