Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I currently have a 336, i was going to get a 308 as well, but i have a friend convincing me to go 338. Can anyone share their expertise in this matter. I can understand the 338 will hit harder, but which is a better long range gun. Which shoots flatter and which tends to be more accurate. Thank you,

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
308 will shoot flatter, 338 does hit harder. My 338 is more accurate than my 308 and a bunch of my other rifles, which I have quite a few. What are you planning on using it for, that would make a difference as well. DP

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Both are accurate enough to impress you, so that's not a big talking point. The issue is what do you plan on hunting, deer, hawgs, elk? Since it sounds like you already have a 30-30, your friend might be right in advising the larger 338 caliber.

You can always get the 338 now and the 308 later. ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
All I hunt is deer. I have both the 308MX and the 338MX; I'm 3 for 3 with the 308MX and 7 for 7 with the 338MX. All were one shot kills and all were DRT with one exception (a short runner), so both with kill deer; but the 308MX, in spite of the fact that I lusted after that thing for a long time before I could actually buy it, has not been out of the gun safe since I brought the 338MX home. For my money, if I could own only one Marlin lever I'd sell everyone I own with the exception of the 338MX, and I have some nice Marlins. That 338 Marlin is one heck of a lever gun/cartridge combination; and you instantly know that the first time you fire the gun! And beside, the fat little 338ME cartridge case is also much cuter than the 308ME case too!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Bought my 338MXLR for upcoming trips West for elk and dreams of returning to Alaska to hunt. After shooting it the recoil was so mild (to me) it was my go to gun in the hills of Tennessee last season instead of my 336. Love my 30-30 but if I could only own one Marlin it would be my 338. Now if I can ever get it back from Remington..... but that's another discussion. Mine had the hard ejection issue. I can't imagine the 308 recoil being significantly less than the 338 so why not go big.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have them both; 30-30 & 338MXLR. I looked at both the 308ME & 338ME and went with the 338 because the 308ME had similar balistics to the 30-30 using the Hornady LE round & I wanted a little more juice behind my second lever action. The 338MXLR can reach out to 400yds and put an animal down & hunting the West, you may need that to make your hunt successful. Just some info for you to help with your choice. Good luck & God Bless.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The .338 is a baby as cartridges go . we should someday see more ammo from Winchester and Federal for it. I have a .338Mx and was on the fence with the Hornady ammo.it seemed really "hot" and I had sticky extraction with many of the cases. I tried the Remington 250grn ammo and had none of those issues. If I could only have one Lever it would be the .338.http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,89955.0.html

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have both the 308MX and 338MX and they are both great cartridges, but my 338 has become my go to rifle. Go to Hornadys web site and ponder over the ballistic data. The 338 wins in all catagories. I plan on using my 308 this year just because I want to try the 140gr monoflex bullet, but in all reality I will probably be using the 338 before the year is over.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
City Slicker said:
Both are accurate enough to impress you, so that's not a big talking point. The issue is what do you plan on hunting, deer, hawgs, elk? Since it sounds like you already have a 30-30, your friend might be right in advising the larger 338 caliber.

You can always get the 338 now and the 308 later. ;D ;D
To answer your questions city slicker, i will mostly hunt deer and maybe hog one day, but thats it. After reading all the replies I am leaning towards the 338 now. It seems like a do everything rifle.

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
If you are only going to get one, make it the 338 ME. It will do everything the 308 ME will do and more. If this gun would have been around when I was 22 years old, I probably would have never bought a 30-06.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Halwg said:
If you are only going to get one, make it the 338 ME. It will do everything the 308 ME will do and more. If this gun would have been around when I was 22 years old, I probably would have never bought a 30-06.
Coming from you Hal I'll take that as gospel... 338 it is. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Would like to see Marlin? come out with a straight gripped 20" barreled .338 marlin. with a full magazine, maybe slimmed down nice black walnut wood!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Sounds like ya got a good project planned out there TMAN. DP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts