Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite bullet for reloading the .308?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Makes a difference what the load is intended for. Back when I used a 308 as general deer purpose deer rifle I liked the 165 Nosler Ballistic tip. Today my 308 use is limited to woods hunting, and I prefer a 170 gr 30-30 bullet loaded to about 2500 fps. Mostly I hunt with a .35 caliber, but take the 308 and 300 Savage out from time to time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep, different bullet for different application.

Close range deer I like monoflex or something with controlled expansion. Medium to long range I like something with maximum expansion at lower velocity.

If target shooting I want the cheapest option that offers the best accuracy. With my 336, its the 160 ftx.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So depending on what type of shooting I'm going to do, I can choose whatever .308 diameter bullet that I want, correct?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yep. For a little variety. I like the 168 Sierra Matchkings, 175 Hornady A-max and 190 Matchkings for my AR10-T. In case you haven't guessed I shoot long range highpower so it all depends on what your application is.
My bad, I don't have any experience with the .308ME. When I saw .308 I just thought it was a general question. I should have noticed the forum title. :shot:

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Also depends on what your gun likes for accuracy.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Sierra 150 gr, Spitzer Boat Tail in .308 Winchester

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
150gr hornady BT with 43 grains of 4064 shoot the best out of my ATR100 Mossberg in .308 Winchester.

That's the fun of reloading, dialing in the "perfect" round for your application.

100atr.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
308 winchester or 308 Marlin Express??
James
.308 Marlin Express. Sorry, I just assumed since we were in this forum we would be talking the Marlin calibers.

I'm assuming the bullets are the same for both Winchester and Marlin Express - .308 diameter, so the 30 cal bullets should all work - correct?

Reactions: picketpin

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
All of the above suggestions except stykbows, and the any 30-30 bullet, are NOT appropriate for 308 ME, unless loading your rifle with one in the chamber and only one in the magazine. Assuming is not good with firearms and ammmunition, there are too many similar names, designatins and calibers.

Nosler 170 partition (FOR 30-30)
Speer 170 FP
Hornady 160 ftx, 140 monoflex

These are all good choices and there are probably more. Bullets need to be constructed a little heavier to handle the extra velocity possible with the 308 ME, and must be round nose, flat point or gummjy tip as with the ftx bullets designed for levers from Hornady.

Good Luck,

James

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
.308 Marlin Express. Sorry, I just assumed since we were in this forum we would be talking the Marlin calibers.

I'm assuming the bullets are the same for both Winchester and Marlin Express - .308 diameter, so the 30 cal bullets should all work - correct?
sdkidaho, There was a lot of assuming going on in this thread, maybe a wake up to those of us with experience to slow down with our responses, REALLY read the original post, clarify the question if necessary, and answer thoughtfully. I have been guilty of this too. Reloading is fun and very rewarding, always double check internet forum suggestions with a credible reloading manual or manuals. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of people here with much more experience with reloading than me, and I started in 1978...The key to enjoying your reloading is safety, we are all responsible for that.

James

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I'll be more specific - is this a bullet I can use?
AccuBond ? Nosler

Polymer tip
30 caliber .308

Just wanting to make sure that there is no difference in bullet between the Marlin and Winchester. I understand that the case is different and I understand the concerns with a tube magazine vs a box magazine.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you like Nosler, great bullets, if you search 308 Marlin Express on their site these are this is the info that comes up. ballistic silvertip 150 gr and 170 gr partition.

Pointy bullets for the most part are not recommended in the tube magazines of lever action rifles due to the possible risk of the point setting off the cartridge in front of it in the magazine. Hornady and now Nosler have gotten around that limitation with a soft polymer flexable tip. Most Nosler bullets like the ballistic tip and accubond have a hard polymer tip.
So beyond the two above mentioned bullets, I am not aware of any pointy bullets suitable for lever action rifles. I will mention that the Speer 170 gr. HCFN os an excellent bullet, the latest permutation is a bonded core so it will hold together well and the Ballistic Coefficient is .300 (or there abouts) which in my mind puts it in almost the same league as the pointy 30-30/ lever action bullets in terms of long range capability.

james

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most Nosler bullets like the ballistic tip and accubond have a hard polymer tip.
So you're thinking the polymer tips on these are potentially too hard for the tube magazine?

In that case, as mentioned before, if I wanted to use something other than known safe bullet types, it's one in the chamber and one in the tube, max.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thank you. I'll be more specific - is this a bullet I can use?
AccuBond ? Nosler

Polymer tip
30 caliber .308

Just wanting to make sure that there is no difference in bullet between the Marlin and Winchester. I understand that the case is different and I understand the concerns with a tube magazine vs a box magazine.

Sure you can use it, There are Many differences between the Marlin Express bullet designs and 308 winchester designed bullets(including the nosler you are referring to). The Nosler it is not intended to work in a Marlin action , The bullet will probably (not sure I havent tried it) seat deep in the case due to its longer length, to the point where you are crimping on the ogive (curved part) of the bullet(to allow it to eject loaded from the action). It is the correct diameter.. May I ask why you want to use this bullet? It is also designed for a higher terminal velocity range than the Express is capable of, so if you are using it for a game bullet it may not perform well.

james

1 - 20 of 32 Posts