Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I apologize in advance for the length of the post. I also know that some of my questions have answers in this very forum, but I am having a bit of 'information overload' and hope I can get some real time help via discussion.

Allthough I do not currently shoot, have not for 15 plus years, and was never serious about it before, I've decided I am in the market to purchase a rifle for infrequent recreational shooting and PERHAPS future hunting. In addition, it might be a rifle to hand to my young teen when he grows in to it in a few years and after introdiucing him to firearms education.

So, after a few days of online research, I settled on a rifle chambered in .308 as the best fit for my needs. It seems this caliber would be large enough to take down what I MIGHT hunt in the future (Deer would be my limit most likely) and provide good performance for recreational shooting, but also not offend my aging bones with unnecessary recoil. {This is my first question-Have I selected the right claiber or should I be looking to a 30-06 in the first place?}

After deciding that the .308 was the right choice for me, I moved on to finding a maker and model. The Marlin X rifles kept jumping out to me in my research, mostly because affordability is a prime requirement, and these rifles are affordable.

This is where some confusion is setting in. It seems the model designations were changed, perhaps when the manufacturing location moved. In addition, new models have been introduced. What I really want to know is, if my assumptions above are correct, {what rifle (model number) am I looking for in the X/ .308 combination? }

If I understand correctly, the X7VH in 308 is the current offering. But I must be honest, the varmint designation confuses me a little. Is it because it has a longer barrell? I would not expect this rifle designated as such. In addition, it seems that on line this rifle is designated as a youth rifle. While I have no hang ups about that, this seems a little strange, or at least more appropriate to a 243 chambering. Is there an X7 .308 with a shorter barrel than the VH? And other than fatigue (not a concern for my use) would I not rather have a long barrel?

I understand the price point of the rifle essentially dictates a synthetic stock, and I am fine with that, but I want to make sure I am not missing an OEM wood stock offering that is out there. I do know about Boyd's, and that is a route I would potentially go at a later time.

I gather that because of the price point and self competition, I will not be able to find an X7 at WM, BPS, SW, Cabelas etc. Will I need to go through a Buds or CTD? Do I need to be concerned with quality of the newer offerings? Is there a known source for pre-owned X7s?

Again, sorry for the multitude of questions, and I appreciate any time and answers provided. :beerglass:

·
Banned
231 Posts
The 308 will do just about anything the 30-06 will do with less recoil, so your good to go with the 308, it's a very fine caliber, it's cheap to shoot and ammo is everywhere, some claim that it is a more accurate round, and that they shoot it better than the 30-06. Marlin makes actually three different X rifles in 308, the single designation that is used by Remington now is called the X7, previous designations by Marlin and that are still used today were XS7 for short action calibers 243, 308, 7mm-08, and XL7 for long action calibers, 25-06, 270WIN, and the 30-06. And lastly the X7Y for the youth models, those are also in short action calibers only. All those models have 22 inch barrels.

In addition to the youth model and the standard XS7 in 308, Marlin- Remington also has a 26 inch heavy long barrel varmint model, so you have a choice of 3 models in the 308 caliber.

Marlin never made a wood stock for the short action calibers, but had a Laminated and Walnut stock for the 270 and 30-06 calibers only for a short period of time, so if you like wood you pretty much have to buy an aftermarket stock such as Boyds.

Of the Big Box stores, I know that Gander Mountain and Dicks sells them, you may have to order them and they will be shipped to a store near you, I'm not sure if they are a stocked item in their retail stores, but they will order them for sure, that I know as a fact, as I have ordered from Gander in the past, there are also a number of on line sellers you can use, Buds, Dirt cheap, and Ables, to name a few that sell the X guns.

Lastly, quality is always hit or miss, always has been with this model, In my opinion you really can't say you would be better off with a Marlin North Haven made rifle or a Mayfield made Remington rifle, they seem to be equal as far as overall quality is concerned.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Winterlands. Two follow ups:

1) I am having trouble locating an XS7 308 that is not a Y or VH model. You sure they exist?
2) That has me leaning toward the long barrell VH offering. I am ignorant on the ramifications of the long barrel other than it is heavier to tote, may effect accuracy and probably reduces recoil. Is there something I am missing from the VH?

·
Banned
231 Posts
Yes, I am sure they exist, finding one may be a problem, especially now, but they are still being made, I actually have an XS7 in 308, and it's not a youth or heavy barrel model. As to the VH model, I think you know what the difference would be, as a hunting rifle, you would have to deal with the extra weight, and the longer barrel, I believe it's better suited to a Varmint rifle shooting from a rest or bench, as opposed to a carry, hunting big game woods rifle. I guess you could use it as a carry woods rifle, I just think the standard would be better in that role.

Just a suggestion, but if you can't find a Marlin X rifle in 308, and you have your heart set on the Marlin, any of the available cartridges make for a fine Deer round, there is nothing wrong with the other calibers, they all excel as accurate shooting rounds and as deer cartridges. In other words, If I had to have an X gun, I would buy any X gun I could find regardless of the caliber.

If you can do with other makes, Ruger makes an excellent 308 called the American, Savage makes an affordable 308, and Weatherby has the Vanguard in 308, Remington makes the excellent 308 SPS model, all are readily available and for pretty much the same price as the X guns. Just a suggestion, as I think you would be just as happy with any of the rifles mentioned.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Hey vista, just found this info thread, hope it helps in your quest to find your X gun. Take care.

if you are looking for a marlin x7.. go to Welcome To Somarriba, Inc.. I just bought mine (last month) for $365 chambered on .308 all black. They will give you a quote and have it sent to your preferred FFL... tell you something.. i love it as well; it is amazing but i need help with the above questions.. any serious help will really be appreciated...

Ja.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I paid $320 for my X7 in .308 in November. Just go to your LGS and ask them to order you one. That's what I did, and it will usually takes less than a week for it to be delivered to the LGS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I paid $320 for my X7 in .308 in November. Just go to your LGS and ask them to order you one. That's what I did, and it will usually takes less than a week for it to be delivered to the LGS.
Yeah, haven't talked to them yet. Given how far I live from a "local" GS, it may be easier for me to order on line and ship to a FFL guy around the corner.

·
Registered
514 Posts
.308 is a great round. I prefer 30-06. I have a winchester 1895 carbine in 06
But if your just looking at a rifle for deer and target the .308 is a great choice.
Another brand to look into is savage. I had a savage I forget which but it was dead accurate. And there not overly expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two rifles in .308 and I love them both and they both are a ton of fun to shoot. My Marlin XS7 in .308 that I just picked up from a friend for $250 and it was never fired until it was in my hands and it will deliver sub 1" groups.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The .308 is a great caliber and will do about anything an 06 will do with 150 and 165 grain bullets. From 180 grains on up, the 06 begins to get an advantage with it's larger case capacity. With the heavier bullets in the larger case, recoil goes up. Jack

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
10 Posts
They do exist as I own a stainless version in 308. I got mine at one of our LGS's. Very capable rifle for the money and very accurate with several 308 loads I have tried. I can also confirm it collects venison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts