Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy selling a 308 MX locally. I don't know the serial number though Barrel droop concerns me.
Two questions for here:
What serial number ranges are to be avoided due to barrel droop?
What is a good price for the 308MX? Bare rifle....

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
As I understand it barrel droop was the product of a short instance where the machine lost tolerance during a receiver run and wasn't caught in time so a few receivers were indeed problematic. If I recall correctly this occurred in mid to late 2009 but do not quote me on that. Tomray or KON would know and you might shoot them a PM to ask.

Therefore, 2007, 2008 and early 2009 are fine. I assume you already know how to determine the DOM... serial number prefix being 93 -100 = 2007?

Fair or good price? Last September I purchased my 2007 JM 308MX (bare rifle) for $629 and I considered the price fair. Now, probably a tad more.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jack

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Not really looking for a 308 Marlin. It would hold more interest if it was a 308MXLR. I really want a 338MXLR, but the trader in me hates to let a good deal go by. I guess if I can get it for $550, I would not lose any money later on.

Reactions: graymustang

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
cgcollins, now those are good deals on a 308MX! Good for you.

Bill, I'm curious, why do you hold more interest in the 308MXLR over the MX version?

And FWIW, I believe going forward on JM Express rifles, one would be hard pressed to lose money on one.

Jack

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
winterlands, regarding droop that could be as I was struggling trying to recall the date of the mishap. I might have a conversation with Tomray and KON again.

Regarding the 338ME problems I have had extensive chats with Tomray regarding it's problems. But the OP wasn't inquiring about the 338.

Jack

Reactions: oleroy

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Not quite accurate, there have been very early 2009 rifles with the droop, and also there are some 2008 rifles with other problems other than the droop issue, but those were mainly 338 caliber rifles.
winterlands, I can't tell you when the droop actually started, but I do have a early 2009 308MX (91010XX) & it does not have the barrel droop problem. I got rid (sold) several of my bolt guns cause my 308MX is so accurate! From My understanding, when the droop issue came up, most of it concerned the 338MX starting in 2009. Some 308MX's were involved with the droop, but mostly the 338MX's.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack,
Just prefer the longer stainless barrel and laminated stock. Have one in 45-70 and one in 450 Marlin.

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
Bill, I can certainly relate to that. I wanted both the MXLR and MX as I really like the blued/walnt but still hope to find a reasonably priced stainless/laminate one too. I see nothing wrong with having both. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
winterlands, I can't tell you when the droop actually started, but I do have a early 2009 308MX (91010XX) & it does not have the barrel droop problem. I got rid (sold) several of my bolt guns cause my 308MX is so accurate! From My understanding, when the droop issue came up, most of it concerned the 338MX starting in 2009. Some 308MX's were involved with the droop, but mostly the 338MX's.
Roy, thanks for your response. Lately I feel like I'm experiencing memory dumps from working 14 to 16 hour days for the past 3 weeks. The work load is brutal and the conference calls and business meetings have taken a toll on my mind. Not to mention keeping up here on MO.

I'm thinking of taking a week off soon and let my brain reboot. HA!

Jack

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Roy, thanks for your response. Lately I feel like I'm experiencing memory dumps from working 14 to 16 hour days for the past 3 weeks. The work load is brutal and the conference calls and business meetings have taken a toll on my mind. Not to mention keeping up here on MO.

I'm thinking of taking a week off soon and let my brain reboot. HA!

Jack
LOL!! Jack, please don't tell me that you're coming down with that dreaded disease called CRS too!!:biggrin: Only thing I can tell you is the same thing I told Randy, Gittin Old Ain't For Sissy's & believe me, I know!!:flute::biggrin:

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
The past two weeks I've contracted a heavy dose of CRS! I hung in their the first week but then it started in and the past few days are awful. HA!

You are so right about getting older and with the work load I'm ready to call UNCLE.

But I just got word my 308 custom dies are getting ready to ship so I'm trying to clear a bunch of work off my calendar to make way for some serious bullet making. Not to mention, lot's of shooting. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Gun is a Remlin- "MR62" serial range. Not so sure about it now.
I might be better off to hold onto the money in case a 338MXLR or 308MXLR pops up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.