Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues finding any ammo for my rifle. I have had it since 2007 and really love it. Anyone have any ammo they want to sale or part with?

Also, have been thinking maybe I should reload it. I am ignorant about reloading even though I have shoot and hunted all my life.

1. What primers can I use, will all .30 or .308 cal primers work? What ones will work the best?
2. I know I need a Monoflex or Flextip bullet, but when it says.30 cal (.308 is this what I want to use?
3. Do you think the ammo will come back into stock?

4. What is a good brand or reloading equipment?

Any help would be appreciated. :questionmark:

·
Registered
665 Posts
mike,
Yes, reloading is a must. However I see 308 marlin ammo regularly on the shelves but I tend to check every time I go somewhere that sells it. (I don't have a 308 marlin yet either) I also saw 308 ftx bullets last week at Ranch & Home. 308ftx bullets for 30/30 and 308 marlin are not the same so make sure you get the right ones if you reload. Trouble I have had with reloading is getting powder. Tracked a pound down the other day but always keep your eyes open.

Primers can be CCI, Winchester LR or Rem. Shouldn't make much difference. Just make sure they are large rifle primers and not pistol or small rifle.

The easiest way to start reloading is to get a Lee Hand Loading kit from Midway ($30 ish I think). Of course you will need dies and you will need a funnel, a lee factory crimp helps, and a scale to measure your powder. There are ways to clean cases without a tumbler. you also need a tool to measure the case length. when all is said and done it will cost you some money to get started but it is worth it. Youtube is a great tool to learn the basics of reloading.

That said, finding a source of factory ammo is still important. I see it a Bi-Mart, Ranch & Home, and Sportsmens Warehouse from time to time. I don't know what you have in your area but check once a week and you will get lucky. If I get into town this week I'll see if it is in stock on this end of the world.
Pb

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Best is to have a friend sit you down at a bench, and show you. Next best starting point is a good reloading manual, many folks here like the Lyman Reloading Manual, it pretty much explains everything, and go from there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i ordered the dies today along with 300 FTX Bullets and 100 new brass. The new brass may take a while but anything is better than none. I have not bought ammo since i bought the gun in 2007. So I don't use a lot of it but it's always good to have on hand when needed. I really have not had much interest in reloading but i guess i will have to or give my gun away for 50% of the vaule. Don't want to do that.....I do have a guy around the block who said he would load some for me until i got set up.....

One more question...how many time can you reload the brass normally before it is no good on ave?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael,

Unfortunately, all of our products are in very high demand so most items are backordered. We are still making the 308 Marlin Express Leverevolution; it is actually in production now and will be shipping out soon.

Thank you,

Hornady Sales Team

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
308 marlin express FTX Bullets / Reloading

Cabelas Canada has 30 cal 308 marlin express FTX Bullets in stock if anyone is looking...:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
267 Posts
Graf and sons has 308 marlin and 338 marlin ammo. 308 $27 a box the 338 $30 a box and free shipping I just got 5 boxes of each. Havent bought centerfire ammo for 40 years but brass is now hard to find

1,875 Posts
Anyone interested in using the 308ME in both their 308 Marlin Express and their Marlin 336? We just completed a project to do just that and have reported our testing analysis for what we're calling the 30-30 AX - as in Ackley eXpress, or eXtra, or eXtreme - whatever. In addition to modifications on the 336 rifle, we used Hornady 308 ME-FTX in a 30-30 AI cases with 38.5gr of LVR powder. Now our Marlin 336 can use factory 30-30 Win or handloads of 30-30 AI or 30-30 AX (308) and get great results. Check out our post on the MO forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts