Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.......just looking for some advice!!....a few days ago i shot some 110 grain Sierra "varmitters" with 45 grains( compressed) of IMR 3031.......all i can say is WOW!!....all 5 shots fell into less than 1/2" at 100 yards with no kick what so ever......now, my plan is to have my wife shoot her mule deer doe with the .308 cal with a 110 jacketed bullet but am not sure what i should use??...soft point/ barnes?....anybody have any experience with that grainage on deer?.......the avg velocity of the 110 was 3025fps, so i think that puts the gun in the top end of a .243 cal class gun....any ideas??..thanks again larry :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
The problem with most 110grain, 308 caliber bullets is they are classified as "varmint" bullets so the jacket is very thin and would give very little penetration with very violent expansion so you run the chance of not reaching the vitals and making a clean kill. I would step up tp a 150grain hunting bullet if it were me. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
riverhunter said:
hi all.......just looking for some advice!!....a few days ago i shot some 110 grain Sierra "varmitters" with 45 grains( compressed) of IMR 3031.......all i can say is WOW!!....all 5 shots fell into less than 1/2" at 100 yards with no kick what so ever......now, my plan is to have my wife shoot her mule deer doe with the .308 cal with a 110 jacketed bullet but am not sure what i should use??...soft point/ barnes?....anybody have any experience with that grainage on deer?.......the avg velocity of the 110 was 3025fps, so i think that puts the gun in the top end of a .243 cal class gun....any ideas??..thanks again larry :)
RH
I've used 110 Barnes X bullets for whitetails in 7.62x 39 with good results.
I never recovered any bullets they plowed clean through. Longest shot about 90yrds. Been meaning to try some in my 308. The bullet should hold up if the velocity is not to high. I do some testing before I used it on deer.

Pat

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooker said:
[

RH
I've used 110 Barnes X bullets for whitetails in 7.62x 39 with good results.
I never recovered any bullets they plowed clean through. Longest shot about 90yrds. Been meaning to try some in my 308. The bullet should hold up if the velocity is not to high. I do some testing before I used it on deer.

Pat

hi pat.......i am going to try the 130 grain barnes bullet i think--can't find a 110 grainer anyway....i will try to keep the speed down--like ya said, and i too think it should be fine.........we will be shooting between 20-100 yards tops!... that's the 7.62*39"russian" is it not?.......where did you find a .311 dia barnes x?......larry

·
Registered
216 Posts
RH
My 7.62x39 is a Ruger their bore is 308. The Barnes stock number for this X bullet is 30800.

Pat

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Riverhunter, I used to shoot 110grn JHPs through my .308
The load was 45grns of Reloader 12, which was 10% down on the top loading of 49.9grns, but it was so accurate that I just didn’t bother uploading it.
It was an absolutely brilliant load to shoot, with very light recoil, almost like a .243. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is very interesting, as I have gotten my best groups in my 30-30 NEF with 110gr sierra sp. Didn't think about deer with it. I was trying to develope a Whistle-pig load. Shot placement would be super critical.
RV

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Riverhunter

If you are having trouble locating a source of bullets here in Canada, you might try Lock Stock & Barrel in the US. They do ship to Canada. I just bought a batch of bullets from them. You may have to tailor you order to be under the $100.00 export licencing limit, but high enough to make the shipping costs worthwhile. I found it to be slightly cheaper to buy Barnes 270XLC bullets in 375 from L,S&B than to have Wholesale Sports in Calgary ship to me. The nice thing about L,S&B is that they have a wide selection of stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts