Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a good cast boolit to use in the 308 express?
I found some at Missouri bullets but they are no longer accepting orders.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
i'll be honest. I have several 30-30's, and because of the better case configuration, I prefer to shoot these, as the extra case capacity of the 308 Marlin Express is not a real advantage in shooting cast. If you're inquiring about shooting slow velocity pistol powder loads, I would check out Oregon Trail. They are not the cheapest, but generally shows good hardness, diameter, lubing, and should shoot satisfactory. I will say that if you are shooting higher velocity, Ranch Dog found the cartridge frustrating because even his well designed 30 caliber bullet shows deficiencies in this caliber because of the short neck of the case and would usually throw a flier. I do think the 1 to 12 twist is better for cast, (than the 1 to 10), but that is where the bit of advantage ends.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well poop. I was thinking I could powder coat the bullets to better facilitate mid range velocities

·
Registered
140 Posts
You might look at Beartooth Bullets, in my experience an excellent product. Let me say this, hardness is far down the list of things you need to worry about, ordinary WW alloy is normally quite sufficient. Slug your bore and order/cast/size your boolits .001-.002" over groove size, that will ordinarily take care of any possibility of leading. I've pushed the RD 165gr in GC, lubed with Lee Alox over 2200 in my 30/40AI with great accuracy and no sign of leading. Good luck with your project. GW

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
I never had much luck using cast in the 308ME. Despite playing around with it quite a bit, accuracy was terrible to say the least. YMMV but I found much better results just reloading with the FTX bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.