Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the 308 and the 35rem cartridge and I was wondering if any one had ever changed the 35rem barrel out and replaced it with a .308 winchester. The bolt looks like it would not be need to be changed just the barrel. I don't know if the 336 could stand the cup of the 308. Just and interesting observation. Sure would make it a powerful rifle and would always be around and not go obsolete. Looking for some opinions.
I realize the 308 are pointed but maybe a person could use 30/30 bullets.

fknipfer

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
The .307 is a rimmed version of the .308 it shares a common rim with the 30-30 and as such a 336 in 30-30 can be easily rechambered, giving you what you want. The case length and rim is nearly identical as such will cycle with no modifications to the lifter for length. Converting a .35 to .308 might work but at the cost of rebarreling, going to the .358 is viable for a .35 in 336

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I was thinking about was there are a lot of cartridges, people and companies try but very few survive. All the sudden there is not support for them. Especially cartridges like the .358 that is almost gone.
Since I like the 336 lever action rifles I was just thinking about a cartridge that probably would be around a long time. I know that there a people that handload a lot, but there are some that don't.
A 308 with a flat nose or like the new Hornady polymer tip would be a pretty good thing, I think.

fknipfer

·
Registered
201 Posts
Too many things to change. You'd have to open up the bolt face on the .35 Remington from .460 to .473 for the .308, plus the .308 is longer. You'd probably have challenges with feeding. Pressure would be a problem, too. The Nonneman quasi-.307 approach with the 30/30 is probably more doable. If I didn't already have a .307 Big Bore, though, and wanted a Marlin in .307 I'd find a 336 ER and just have it rebarreled. You wouldn't have to change a single thing other than the barrel - the .307 and .356 cases are identical in every aspect.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12guageman,

Of course you are right, the bolt is not as big a problem as the extra .220 in length of the cartridges. I wasn't thinking about feeding when I looked at the cases. I don't think I would make a .307 because on one mfg loads ammo for it "Winchester", no one else does and if you don't reload you could get yourself in a world of hurt. Winchester I understand is closing their Conn. plant and where does that leave someone.
I just was dreaming about a standard high power, long range cartridge that would be around for a long time.

Have a great evening,
fknipfer

·
Registered
473 Posts
What makes you think the 30/30 will not be around for a long time? :D Regards, Byron

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was speaking of the groups of cartridges that come and go in a very short time. Wildcats, ackleys, people come up with a great cartridge and no one supports it.
We have several cartridges that have been around forever, 30-30,30-06, 45-70, .308, etc. etc. this list will be with us forever. I am speaking about a great cartridge like the .358, .356, .307, 225, etc. etc. these are really great rounds but basically will bite the dust and be gone unless you are a diehard and handload. I mean no disrespect to the people who hang onto the disappearing cartridges.
I think a .308 in a lever action would be the best of both worlds, great handling and great range. I certainly would buy a new XLR in a .308 cartridge, I believe I would even stand in line and that is saying something. I don't believe the .308 will disapear anytime in the next hundred years and after that I won't worry about it. Hornady's polymer tip solves the problem of going off in the tube magazine.

fknipfer

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't believe the marlin is up to the pressures of the 308 cartridge. If you want that round buy a browning BLR.
Regarding the 358 round, brass is not a problem if you reload. Just run 308 cases through your 358 size die and you have brass. I've been doing it for years. :D Regards, Byron

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am by no means an expert on this, but I don't think that the 336 action can handle pressures exerted by the .358 cartridge.

Just my $.02...

Dan

G

·
If you Like the .308 in a levergun, you might think of the Browning BLR. It's mag fed, so you can use whatever bullets you like.

MMM

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
The only difference between the 356 W and 358 W is the base of the shell. If you ever buy a die set (I did - thats how I found out) the die set is for 358/356 but each needs a different shell holder.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sureshot is correct on this. The .358 uses the same shell holder as the .308 Win, .270 Win. and 30-06. For the .356 Win., you use the same shell holder as for the 30-30.
One thing though. I believe the 356 is not loaded to the same pressure level as the .358 in deference to the weaker lever actions.
Paul B.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The .356 Win has the same external dimensions as the .358, but a lower powder capacity by a few grains. I'm not near a manual or my bench right now, so I can't cite the exact difference. The 356 Win is also limited because of cartridge OAL - with the .358 you can seat bullets, especially heavier ones and spitzers, out a little farther and increase powder capacity if your chamber will allow it. No dice on the .356 Win - heavier, longer bullets have to get seated deeper in the case and consume even more volume.

Has anyone handled the Browning? What's it like?

G

·
12gaugeman said:
Too many things to change. You'd have to open up the bolt face on the .35 Remington from .460 to .473 for the .308, plus the .308 is longer. You'd probably have challenges with feeding. Pressure would be a problem, too. The Nonneman quasi-.307 approach with the 30/30 is probably more doable. If I didn't already have a .307 Big Bore, though, and wanted a Marlin in .307 I'd find a 336 ER and just have it rebarreled. You wouldn't have to change a single thing other than the barrel - the .307 and .356 cases are identical in every aspect.

After what I had to pay for a 336ER (and it was cheaper then most I've seen) , I think the best thing to do would be to get a 336XLR and rechamber. Which is what I might do.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On Auction Arms there is a BLR .308 bid at 399 and the auction ends tomorrow. Am waiting till then to make a bid. Would be a nice gun to give to my son for his birthday. He is left-handed and these lever guns are amidextrous. Would love to have it in a Marlin style but it will never happen.

But with the amount of guns I have I sure don't need a BLR and he does.

fknipfer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts