Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Forgive me. I used the search function, and even googled "site:marlinowners.com" extensively for info but I'm coming up short.
I've got a Winchester 94AE in .307 Win on the way along with brass, Hornady 160 FTX's (30-30) and a jug of H4895.

I've been using H4895 for 308 Win, 30-30, and 303B for years. I'm a fan, and I want to keep using it. It's versatile, great for the 30's, and I like to simplify my life a bit by not having a ton of different powders on the bench.

The Hornady book lists the max load for this bullet (160 FTX) at 37.7gr for 2350 FPS.

Hodgdon doesn't list the 160 FTX in their data, but they list max load of 40gr for the 170g Hornady FP at 2474 FPS, and 42gr for the Hornady 150gr RN for 2604 FPS.

:confused:

It looks to me like the bearing surfaces on the 170 FN are way longer than the 160 FTX, although the FTX may protrude into the case more.

So what the heck?
I feel that I should be able to work up to 41 gr easily enough, but not when I see Hornady state 37.7gr. Is this data "conservative"?
I'd like to send this bullet at 2500 fps or better.

Does anyone have any guidance for me?
Any experience loading this bullet and powder combo?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Bryan Alder probably has the most experience with the FTX’s and the 307. Isn’t there a specific leverevolution powder that is used with the gummies ? I use Slim Iorg’s favorite load of 40.0 grns. of 4064 under a 170 gr. Speer bullet in my 30AS rechamber and it works great.

Reactions: navajo

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That combination gave me great velocity and accuracy. But in freezing temps the 4895 spiked for me. Its backwards from what weve been taught on reloading but it happened every time. I went with Varget and got slighly less accuracy(very slightly less) and a little less velocity. But it was very consistent in temps. LVR got some of the best velocities but spiked very quickly at the end. Also 2500 fps for 30396 FTX is pushing it a little too fast. On close shots going at 2550 fps bullets were blowing up on impact. I would keep max velocity for that bullet at 2450 fps if you get close shots. For pushing bullets fast the 150 and 170 Speer Hot-Cor is a little better

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
So I chickened out and bought a pound of varget.
It was pretty windy out, but there were no pressure issues up to 42 GR.
I've gone higher than that but i wouldn't tell anyone. Didn't really want all the flak though

Reactions: navajo

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
My load with the 160FTX (30-30 bullet) is
41.7grs Varget.
I have shot a near 1 hole group with this load
@100 yards.
I have not chrono'd it yet, but the load came from
a Hornady manual, and their test rifle was a Win
94 with a 20" barrel...so I have to figure a
converted 336 will yield the same or close
to the 2500fps listed.
I had no alarming signs of pressure with this load,
and no sticky extraction.

The FTX bullets are not designed for close in work
and perform poorly when used for this kind of hunting.
They're made for long reach and that's where they
do their thing well.
100yds and out they have time to slow down and work right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.