Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy tins of 7.62x54R for in the $100 range and sence all I do is target shoot, I thought about pulling some bullets from the 7.62x54r, using the bullets to load some 303 british, and the primed 7.62x54r case for my cast loads. But then I'll have all that powder.....Was thinking on working up a load for both the 303 british and my cast 7.62x54r loads with the powder. Anyone from here done this before, what were your results?

P.S. Please don't reply with a lecture on reloading practices or how I shouldn't do this because its not brought up in your reloading manual. I'm an experienced reloader, and know what I'm doing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You may get an unsafe pressure condition trying to run the 303 Brit bullets down the 7.62 bore. The 303 bullet is .312"......7.62 bore could be as small as .308", which is .004" difference. If you tried the reverse, you'd get poor accuracy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah. I slugged the enfield and it mic'd at .310 which is the bullet dia of 7.62, itll be fine, im only shooting 100yrds or so. I also slugged the mosin M44 and that came out at .311. So bullet dia isn't a problem in this particular case. Ive seen mosins anywhere from 308-115 and ive seen lee enfields from 310-317, same with arisakas. Same with any milsurp gun really. Its a must to slug the bore and see what you've got before doing anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.