Marlin Firearms Forum banner

300G Barnes TSX Load Data

7K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Gunman9 
#1 ·
Hey yall got a quick question. I loaded one round today of barnes 300g TSX for my 1895GS. I used 46g of IMR 4198. I emailed barnes and they sent me two load data sheets. I used the load for an "original FN" 300g. Will I be fine with this load? I should be good to not worry about over pressure? And does anyone have a starting load data for this?

#6 ·
Ya I have that and the one from barnes site. I just want to be sure the Load I made for the 300g TSX will work since it was listed for a 300g barnes original

#7 ·
IMHO I would being at the lower end of what they have listed and begin with 40 gr of IMR4198 and work my way up. the load listed for the indicates it is pushing in the area of 1800 fps and that is pretty stout load. IMR 4198 is versatile enough you can load down to trap door loads and possibly lower without any problems, there is comfort in that, rather than going hot the first loadings. I have found with the 250 gr xfn I am using 50 gr of 4198 with no pressure problems. I did not start there, I worked from 40 gr to this load. Speed is not the only measure of success the accuracy of the load is most important.

#8 ·
Ok well that's good to hear. I loaded only one round just to see what the recoil will be like. I have loaded trap door loads with 4198 and it is my favorite practice round. I'm loading these for deer hunting thiugh

#11 ·
Looking at the#4 Barnes reloading book right now and the powders they recommend are sr4759, vit n120, imr 4227, xmp 5744, h 4227, and aa 1680. I use the vit n 120 right now but I'm down to my last couple of bottles of power. I haven't been able to find n 120 for years now and have given up. Bought some aa 1680 today and I am going to give that a spin and see how it does. I recommend using current data from the Barnes website or # 4 reloading book. Do you have any imr 4227?

#15 ·
It was from their #3 manual. The link above. Helps some but considering the projectiles are completely different in design now wouldn't that mean there would be a change in load data?

#17 ·
I am. Do you think I'm safe shooting the 46g or should I just pull the bullet and reload it? I have to buy that collet which I think is #13 for the hornady cam lock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.