Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lots of information about this bullet on game and in test media at close up. What is missing, or I just can't seem to find, is data on the performance of bullets (on game not test media) at longer (for the 45/70 that is) ranges out to 200M.
Before I get hammered with howls of indignation about the ability of the 45/70 to "kill farther," 200M is about as far as I want use this cartridge; any farther and I will bring out the .270.
In any case the bullet I am interested most in is the 300gr TSX, however any other jacketed bullet is most welcome! Not doing the cast boolit thing so please take note there.
Here is the question.
Who has recovered a TSX, or other bullet, from larger game 400-500KG+ at longer ranges? I have no doubt in this bullet's capability to cleanly kill up close, but I am specifically looking for the performance at longer ranges on larger game nearer to 200M than not
Please go into as much detail as possible. IE shot angle, distance, load data, animal species etc. Anatomical photos would be an added plus.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
longshotz,

I can't speak to your question about the 300TSX bullet, because as you won't go the cast bullet direction, I won't go the jacketed bullet direction.

However, I would have zero hesitation to take a large critter such as elk or moose with my 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast at 250yds.

With your 300gr Jacketed bullet, you may well start your bullet faster then I, but you would see no better 200yd results then I.

My suggestion would be go with bullets of at least 100gr heavier then you suggest or your .270 may well be the better option.

The 45/70 shines it's brightest with the heavier bullets, as those of lighter weight just rapidly loose too much energy at extended ranges.

Hope you find the information that is needed to answer your question, and I will be following the responses with interest.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
638 Posts
To be Honest unless you are in an area that Requires the use of None Lead Bullets then I would not spend that kind of money on a Bullet. As to be even more honest the Barnes TSX is a fine bullet and as you can tell by the pictures posted they work well but again are very expensive and really not needed for the 45-70 as you will not gain much as far as a flatter trajectory is concerned.

You also did not state what you will be hunting? My personal preference for a darn good jacketed bullet for both performance and cost is the Hornady 350Gr RN.

I have tried a few 300Gr Jacekted bullets in the Marlin 45-70 but not the Barnes TSX. But the 300Gr jacketed bullets did not give me as good of accuracy as the 350Gr bullets and up in weight.

But that is just my opinion as for some odd reason you do not wish to use a Cast Bullet and that is Ok by me as Jackted bullets will serve you well. But those pesky Jacketed bullets have not been around very long and I feel they are just a Fad lol.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
We bought all the 250s before they came out with the 300s.

My bud loads them to 2200fps, and drops elk in thier tracks, they dont wobble, they just fall down

Dead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.