Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't resist... Walked into my local gunshop and there she was, leaning seductively against the rack... A brand spanking new Rem 700 CDL, with a nice walnut stock and a svelte 26" sporter barrel... Love the lines of that stock. I've already got a 700 CDL in .25-06 at home, and I love that sweet-shooting deer rifle. Right then and there I decided to bring her big sister home too! The gunshop had this brand new Remmy marked at a mere $489!

Oh yeah - chambered in .300 Remington Ultra Mag... Oh boy... Lots of gunpowder and recoil to go along with all the velocity. Should make a dandy elk rifle though.

Now all I need are dies, brass, a new scope, mounts, an ice pack and a big bottle of ibuprofen!

More later... Guy

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Congratulations. Excellent choice. I have the 700 Sendero in .300 RUM and love it. I highly recommend reloading as you can use just about any .30 caliber bullet, and there are a lot of them. However, those cases can hold 90 grains or more of powder, which can get expensive, but definitely cheaper than factory loads.

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a week later I've got it set up with a 3.5-10x Leupold in dual-dovetail mounts. Also picked up a box of Remington ammo, 200 grain Nosler partitions, as well as some loading dies.

Have plenty of Sierra and Nosler 200 grain bullets on hand, a pound of Retumbo and another pound of Reloader 22. Will post reports once I've had it to the range. Looks like a good elk & bear gun.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... Not all bad for the first trip to the range. Had a box of Rem factory ammo on hand, 200 grain Nosler Partitions.

Ran 'em across a chronograph, and fired a three-shot group while breaking it in... Average velocity was 3189 fps, one shot at 3200, another at 3204 fps. Only fired one three-shot group for accuracy, it measured just under an inch at 100 yards. I can certainly live with a factory built sporter that hurls a 200 grain Nosler Partition at 3200 fps! :D

Suspect the rifle is capable of better accuracy. I was shooting off a bipod on a concrete pad.

Recoil? Not bad! I anticpated prodigious and painful recoil. Not at all. This thing is a pussycat! Strongly suspect the good stock design coupled with an excellent recoil pad can take the credit for making the recoil a non issue.

The rifle is a pleasure to shoot. Accurate, powerful. Looking forward to handloading for it, and hunting with it!

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I run about four rounds or so through my .458 Lott first. Then the .300 RUM feels like a Daisy! :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D There ya go! I like that approach! From all the rumors I'd heard, I figured it had to be somewhere up there with a big nasty elephant rifle. I've shot .458 Win mags and a .450 Ackley, so I was prepared for the worst. It just didn't happen. Am very comfortable shooting the .300 RUM!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive had really good luck with rutumbo powder in 300 Rum

·
Registered
504 Posts
M700 said:
Average velocity was 3189 fps, one shot at 3200, another at 3204 fps. Only fired one three-shot group for accuracy, it measured just under an inch at 100 yards. I can certainly live with a factory built sporter that hurls a 200 grain Nosler Partition at 3200 fps! :D
Holy cow.....
:eek:
my .300 Wby moves 180's out at just under 3100 with 82.0 gr RL22. and that RUM is flingin 200's out at 3200. crap that thing is a beast.

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay Hogbuster - You get the award for dredging up this four-year-old thread. Good grief! ;D

So here's an update:

I got the dies, brass, bullets and a bunch of Retumbo powder. Had no trouble slinging 200 gr Sierra SPBT Gamekings downrange accurately at 3150 fps. Man, does that big case take a powder charge! I was using 95 grains of Retumbo and those 200 gr bullets! ;D Yee Haw!

So... Over time I decided that I needed to thin out the rifle herd a mite and sold several rifles w/overlapping duties - the .300 RUM was one that went. Had too many 7mm & .30 cal rifles around and simply didn't need them all. I liked it and have a huge respect for the cartridge, but after the initial enthusiasm, I just didn't use the rifle much. So off it went. It's in good hands, a younger fellow recently out of the Marines bought it and I've heard he's slaying things with it just fine. He also ended up with my loading dies, brass, ammo, and many heavy .30 cal bullets from me.

My son got the 3.5-10x Leupold for his little 6mm Rem multi-purpose varmint/coyote/mule deer zapper.

After some flailing I solved my "need" for a longish range magnum with a 30 year old Ruger Number One in 7mm Rem mag. It doesn't bellow near as much as the .300 RUM, but does what I need it to do and is a beautiful older rifle.

For anyone handloading the .300 RUM, I can heartily recommend Hodgdon's data: 95 gr Retumbo, a magnum primer, Remington brass and a 200 gr Nosler Accubond. Very nice shooting combo with excellent downrange accuracy. Despite the fact that the CDL handled the recoil well, this is a very powerful rifle, and if the shooter is a little recoil/muzzle blast shy - likely not a good choice. We're talking over 4,000 ft lbs of muzzle energy - a rare thing for a .30 cal rifle...

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey, what can I say....I got bored.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Im facing the fact I might have to do some thinning myself. No marlins or .300s but im kinda torn between letting a 94 winny in 30-30 go. Med shape, but I have no use for it...but it might be fun project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts