Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to 45/70s, not new to reloading, having loaded for over 30 years. I just got some 300s (cast) to get used to shooting my stainless guide gun with before moving up. I have H322, 3031, 4064, 4198, and a variety of other powders in the HS series. Could someone point me to data for mid to upper-range loads in this cast weight series?

This looks like a lively site - especially the big bore forum!

FinnMike

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Look at the Hodgden data sight. There is a decent bunch of trapdoor data on the net. Hodgden will tell you to use their data on jacketed for cast. Make sure your bullets are up to it. All cast bullets are not created equal. Cheaper non-gas checked and ill sized bullets will not shoot well at higher velocity. The Hodgden annual manual is the best for info like you want.

I would also suggest shooting .459 diam. bullets AT LEAST, and keeping them slower if bevel based and not sized that big. Many of these hard cowboy bullets are not up to the higher velocities, and this will all be a big waste of time. Much more info. on cast shooting available over on the Beartooth bullet forum. I learned a lot from the Beartooth bullet site and manual. If you already know all this, I apologize. :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, Dr. A. I'm not at all proud to accept any and all references......
Best,
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Mike,

In retrospect, I feel like I owe it to you to cut to the chase. I have had more fun shooting these big bullets slow. Cowboy loads are worthless for some hunting and are /can be very accurate. I adapted many of the loads from Greg Mushial's pistol powders to my target practice last year. I learned a bunch about my gun and its abilities. It is not necessary to run the bullets fast unless hunting, or getting to know the trajectory. Give this sight a look. I had most fun with the 400gr. 45-70 data. That bullet is the most accurate in most of our guns. I messed with the smaller bullets because of trajectory and recoil concerns, but found the larger bullets going slow to be more accurate and dependable.

You be the judge. NO FILLER IS NECESSARY WITH THESE POWDERS! :D http://www.gmdr.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts