Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my DNZ mount and Nikon scope on my new 1895. I'm now looking for ammo. I'll be hunting ohio whitetail and WV black bear with this rifle. Recommend a good, reliable factory load around the 300gr weight.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Robert,I got very good accuracy/grouping with both Rem.and Win. 300gr HP. According to the stats, Winchester is about 70fps faster. If your rifle can cycle the Hornady Levs. (325gr) you willn't be disappointed with them either. I have shot all of the above with my 1895GS and 1895SS with the same results.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I would also suggest Federal Ammunition. They make three different rounds for 45-70. Two of them are preferred for Deer, the other for larger game. I suggest you go to Federal's site and look over the Ballistics. They provide a visual trajectory of the average range of their rounds, as well as other important info that will help you get a picture of how to use their ammo. You will have to scroll down to the 45-70 ammo. Federal makes great, reliable ammo. Here's the link:

Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

I also like the Hornady Lever Evolution ammo as Slugnut suggested. Because of their soft point design, their rounds will give you better distance than typical flat point rounds. You can get up to 200 FPS higher muzzle velocity out of their rounds for lever guns. I think the added advantage of longer distance shot potential is critical when firing a big slug like the 45-70. You wouldn't want to have a 130 or 140 yard target stand there looking at you after your round drops somewhere in front of them. That's where the Hornady ammo comes in handy. Here's the link to their site:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 45-70 Govt :: 45-70 Government 325 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

They don't provide the visual aid as Federal, but the ballistic info is there too.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
670 Posts
The Federal with the 300 grain Speer is a solid performer. Also the hollow point is more of a dimple and expands more like a soft nose.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Robert,

I'll be the fly in the ointment here.

This is in part simply for the fact that the 45/70 is not a long range hunting rifle when compared to many other center fire rifles, so why go there.

Why not optimize this grand Ol'Caliber for what it is and what it has done so very well since 1873.

Any gains seen with the light for caliber bullets, jacketed or cast, are never enough to put it into the long range category so seriously look at Wide Flat Nose cast bullet loads with bullets of 400 ++ grains weight and velocities in the range of 1500 - 1700fps.

My 465gr WFN cast at 1650fps is EVER SO EFFECTIVE, does not kick me into next week, is very deadly and does not cause the excessive meat loss seen with some of the short on integrity jacketed bullets or the WFN cast bullets of 350 +/- grains at velocities of over 2000fps.

It is also good for 200+ yds.

I first hunted with my 45/70 using a 350gr WFN cast at 2300fps and it only took one time seeing that huge hole to question my choice.

Enjoy the 45/70 for what it is and don't try to make it what it never will be, no matter how light the bullet or how high the STARTING velocity. Those light for caliber bullets shed velocity and energy like water off a ducks back, decreasing what at first might appear to be the ability to increase the effective kill range of the 45/70.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys!!! I'm leaning toward either Winchester Super X 300gr JHP or Federal Fusion 300gr

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought a Guide Gun and got a rude awakening when I couldn't find bullets to load. I had one years ago and sold it. I loaded my own and had good results with 300grn Sierra bullets @ 1800fps on deer. I ended up ordering the Hornady 325grn Lev. after doing some research. I was able to find them online for about 31.00 with shipping.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I prefer the 300 grain bullet for the flatter trajectory and expansion. The Remington bullet really opens up on deer, so if you shoot one of these hollow points keep off of the shoulder. Rib cage is fine.
Although I reload, I recently went to the Speer as it holds together better than a deep JHP such as the Remington or the Winchester bullets. My reloads run just a tad over 2000 fps but factory ammo will be a bit less. Based upon my reloads, I would opt for the Federal ammo using the Speer bullets.

Reactions: Vic in Va

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The Nosler 300 gr BST is another solid performer. I am running them at 2100 fps from my 1895 Guide gun and they are a hammer on deer.

JD338

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer the 300 grain bullet for the flatter trajectory and expansion. The Remington bullet really opens up on deer, so if you shoot one of these hollow points keep off of the shoulder. Rib cage is fine.
Although I reload, I recently went to the Speer as it holds together better than a deep JHP such as the Remington or the Winchester bullets. My reloads run just a tad over 2000 fps but factory ammo will be a bit less. Based upon my reloads, I would opt for the Federal ammo using the Speer bullets.
I assume you are talking about the Federal blue box load with the 300gr Speer Hot Core bullet?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you can get it, any ammo with the Speer 300 grain Unicor will give good performance on game. That bullet holds together well and penetrates deep, though expansion when the speed drops off may be an issue. Breaking bones is not out of it's job description, either.

I'd look to run it 1900 fps, or faster. I've used them, started out at 2200+ fps in my Guide gun and had good results whereas some of the other 300 grain bullets were showing signs of being somewhat frangible at that speed.

I ran them at 2200 fps to match the trajectory of my .30-30. At that speed, it kicks like 3 .30-30s.....

I must confess. I am currently enamored at the thought of 420 to 440 grain LBT bullets at 1750 or so fps.

But, I still have my stash of Unicors, and I've been known to change my preferences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I almost picked up a box of Speer 400grn bullets but thought that heavy of a bullet would not be good for deer. but not being able to find quality bullets to load I might try to grab them. there was only one box.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Robert,

I'll be the fly in the ointment here.

This is in part simply for the fact that the 45/70 is not a long range hunting rifle when compared to many other center fire rifles, so why go there.

Why not optimize this grand Ol'Caliber for what it is and what it has done so very well since 1873.

Any gains seen with the light for caliber bullets, jacketed or cast, are never enough to put it into the long range category so seriously look at Wide Flat Nose cast bullet loads with bullets of 400 ++ grains weight and velocities in the range of 1500 - 1700fps.

My 465gr WFN cast at 1650fps is EVER SO EFFECTIVE, does not kick me into next week, is very deadly and does not cause the excessive meat loss seen with some of the short on integrity jacketed bullets or the WFN cast bullets of 350 +/- grains at velocities of over 2000fps.

It is also good for 200+ yds.

I first hunted with my 45/70 using a 350gr WFN cast at 2300fps and it only took one time seeing that huge hole to question my choice.

Enjoy the 45/70 for what it is and don't try to make it what it never will be, no matter how light the bullet or how high the STARTING velocity. Those light for caliber bullets shed velocity and energy like water off a ducks back, decreasing what at first might appear to be the ability to increase the effective kill range of the 45/70.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Best advice here. JMHO

·
Registered
198 Posts
Deer are pretty easy to kill. ANYTHING that comes out of a .45 bore and goes through both lungs is going to put them down pretty quickly.

I used to use heavy bullets exclusively - 405 and 460 grain. Then I got a good deal on Hornady 300s and stocked up. They're fantastic. Pleasant to shoot, and they don't have the trajectory of a shotgun slug. I know they shed velocity pretty quickly, but I'm hunting with iron sights, and 100 yards would be a very long shot in the woods around here.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
To me, being a meat hunter, it is not the fact that deer are easy to kill, but more that it is really easy to have over kill and loss of what should have been meat in the freezer.

So, therefore do to the correctness of Oblio13's statement it is a factor that many of the light for caliber bullets, especially if over driven, are excessively destructive.

I witnessed this with a non expanding 355gr Wide Flat Nose at 2300fps, while the same profile bullet at a much reduced velocity is, as I have already said, highly effective on deer AND elk without the over kill.

We all pay our money and take our choice and it is great that we have so many choices.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Crusty coot is spot on... and why anyone would go to the expense of Jacketed bullets for 1500-1600 fps is a mystery to me.
A WFN lead 350-400 grain slug at 1300-1600 fps will whack anything it hits with proper placement.
Then again, if a poor hunter places a bad butt shot on a bear, he deserves to be eaten.
In this manner the gene pool of humanity is self purifying...
A Hunter's Darwin award you might say...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts