Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys - am about to take a big leap to lighter bullets in my .45-70 Guide Gun...

Right after I bought it, I quickly settled on 405 grain Remingtons over a mid level charge of 45 grains of Reloader 7. This was accurate and seemed powerful, although it had of course a rainbow trajectory.

I've got nothing against the bullet performance on game of Remington's 405 grainer. Just looking for a flatter trajectory with a bullet that will perform well on mule deer, elk and black bear. I'd like to switch to Nosler 300 grain partitions for hunting, and a less expensive 300 grainer for practice and plinking. Want one hunting load that will do it all for me - elk, deer and bear. Accuracy is a concern too - I like being able to place my shots well.

Recommendations for a good load? Doesn't have to be max power, but that's okay too! :D Regards, Guy

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
The 300 grain Hornady hollow point from 1800 to 2200 fps is servicable for deer and average-sized black bear and capable of MOA in the 1895. However, the 300 grain Speer UniCor could be a better choice for elk. Wouldn't need the expense of the 300 grain Nosler Partition for those animals, but would be insurance on elk and large black bear.

Marlin 1895 45-70
300 grain Hornady hollow point seated to 2.55" COAL and crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die
Winchester brass, 2.1" trim
CCI 200 primers
51 grains H4198 START load
55 grains H4198 HUNTING load
HUNTING load yields 2180 fps from my 22" barrel
1.1" five shot 100 yard groups

G

·
I use the 300gr Nosler for hunting in the 450 and 45-70. The Sierra and Hornady 300gr HP's also shot well in both guns and are alright for deer. Thou I only hunt with the Nosler or Barnes 300gr Original .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm using the 300 grain hp Sierra over 52 grains of H4198 for my whitetail load. Mild recoil and I've found them to be more than adequet for deer. I know I could load them a lot hotter but really haven't found the need for my purposes.

jar

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. My inventory of 405 grain Remingtons is drying up rapidly and I'm going to start loading some 300 grain Sierras shortly. They were on the shelf at the local gunshop. If they work out well on paper, I'll try a box of 300 grain Nosler Partitions and see if I can get an accurate & reasonably powerful all-around hunting load for my little Guide Gun.

Again, thanks for the input. Will be starting w/H4198 as per Jackfish.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here some data (found in rcbs.load) that might be interesting for you:

55 grain H4198 for a 300 grain Sierra JHP, OAL 2.525 in Winchester case and a CCI200 primer: 2221 ft/sec, 27600 CUPS

52.1 grain VihtaVuOri N130 for a 300 grain Hornady JHP, OAL 2.539 in Remington case and a V68 primer: 2090 ft/sec

63 grain Varget for a 300 grain Sierra JHP, OAL 2.525 in Winchester case and a CCI200 primer: 2020 ft/sec, 23800 CUPS

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Up untill recentley I was useing 55gr of Alliant Reloader 7 with 300hp Hornadys for mv of 2200fps Aproxx. They shoot well and do not have sufficeant kick to bother me at all. I haven't taken deer with this load yet but I have no doubts it will be more than enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently tried H-322 with the 300 Horn. JHP's. I didn't want to start at Hodgdon's top recommended load of 60 gr. in WW brass (larger capacity than Rem. or Starline, so will take a bit more powder to reach max.), so I settled on 57 gr. to start. My buddy shot them before I was able to, and in his Ruger #1 at 50 yds. the first 3 made one hole that was only slightly enlarged after the first shot by the following two! A second trio printed well under 1" at 100, too! They didn't do quite as well in my Guide Gun, but dang close. Velocity in his 22" barrel of his #1 was 2146 fps instrumental at about 8 ft.

He later tried the Hodgdon's recommended max. for the Marlin of 60 gr., and got around 2200 fps (can't remember exactly) and accuracy was very nearly as good, running 1" at 100 or just a smidge over for 5 shots (not 3). It's a VERY clean shooting load, too.

He later went to the recommended max. for the stronger Ruger of 63 gr. and got 2300 fps, but liked the recoil level and accuracy better at near the 57 gr. level, so compromised at 58 gr. and 2180 fps instrumental velocity. He's got the trajectory worked out so that if the wind's not blowing too badly, he can get first shot hits out to 300 yds. with it, by using the bottom post of the duplex reticle as his aiming post and turning the power down from 9 to 8 and then 7x for different yardages. All this was determined and verified by actual shooting of his gun, too, and NOT by some trajectory table. Never rely on trajectory tables. Shoot the gun if you would even consider using it at the longer ranges.

I've used 3031 and 4198 (both H and IMR) in the .45/70 with the 300's, and the 3031 loads burned "dirtier" than the 4198's, but H-322's the cleanest burning load I've tried in it so far. I think you may be able to get a bit more velocity with 4198, but H-322's small grains meter so well though a powder measure that this trait alone makes it my preferred powder right now for the 300's, and I suspect it will remain so for a good while.

There are many powders that will work in the .45/70, and some reports of Benchmark's accuracy have me intrigued, but if I never try another load in it, I think I'll be satisfied. The .45/70 has proven to be a very accurate caliber for me. I have 3 of them and all will do MOA. Pretty amazing when you consider that the 300's are pretty much glorified "pistol" bullets that aren't noted for MOA accuracy. I think that says a lot for the Ruger and Marlin and Browning rifles I've used them in.

Good luck, but I suspect you won't have to try too many loads before you come up with a winner in your gun. BTW, I used WLR primers in my loads, above. They're warmish primers, though not "magnum" rated, and I've read that H-322 likes to be lit off pretty good. If you don't get great accuracy at first, try some WLR or other suitably warmish primers, and that ought to do it, I'd expect. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to be giving H4198 and/or 322 a try. Regards, Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts