Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some that believe that hollow point use should be limited to self defense against 2 legged predators, but has anyone used this bullet on big game? Interested in actual hunting type situations like moose elk bear etc. Anything you can share helps. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
I only shot several deer with them many years ago, all were pass throughs, IIRC my velocities were right at 2000fps. The Swift is the very best made Jacketed bullet for the 444, and they too are a Hollow Point.

Many years ago I did some bullet tests and the Hornady 300gr did not fair well in the test, they came apart and had jacket seperation, IIRC the velocities of those tests was 2150fps. If I were to pick a 300gr jacketed bullet for the most reasonable cost I would go with the Speer 300gr, they have always done real good in my bullet tests.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Pop said:
Thanks buddy but the Speer 300 does not get along with my 444 in the accuracy department.

Maybe I can add that JB Weld in the HP like the other member did. They did work a lot better!
POP,
You must have the 1-20 ballard rifling then, all my Microgrooves shoot the Speer 300gr real well!

Reactions: rlm1

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Hey Pop, I get great accuracy with the Speer 300 out of my 444P with Rem cases, BR2 primer, 47gr Reloder 7. 2125fps, sub MOA at 100.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I never did any 'testing' other than in a bull elk and a bull moose. 300gr XTP's did very well. One shot on the elk at around 180 yds and that was all it took (broke ribs on both sides, then exited). The bull moose took one through the ribs and broke his off shoulder and exited, second was in the base of the neck which broke several vertebrae and also exited. While they may not look as good in the water jug test, they passed the big game test for me, passing through over 18" of animal and bone both times. They both showed it when shot, some hydraulic shock doesn't hurt in my opinion.
I also saw it work on deer very well. They are a very accurate bullet in my rifles and pistols.

·
Banned
153 Posts
I've had great accuracy with this bullet and great terminal performance. I shot a large mule deer with a Georgia Arms loading of the 300 speer. 1 shot 1 Kill

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I've shot several concrete blocks with the 300 XTP at 2085 fps. It blows them to pieces at 50 yards, every time!

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had good accuracy with the XTP's and Speer. 300 XTP is a pistol bullet so it may expand more then a rifle bullet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have two rifles in 444 Marlin cal. One is a new 444Marlin lever action that doesn't like the heavy Hornady 300gr XTP. It prefers the Speer 270gr or Remington factory loads. The other is a H&R Handi-Rifle which seems to prefer the heavy 300gr bullets. I tried the Speer 300gr but it penetrated the one deer I shot without much expansion. I switched to the Hornady XTP last season and took two deer with it. Both were bang- flop, four feet in the air, no tracking blood trail shots. What more could one ask of a bullet used for deer size game? Now if you're after Elk size game you might want to consider the heavy jacket Speer 300gr bullet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I never did any 'testing' other than in a bull elk and a bull moose. 300gr XTP's did very well. One shot on the elk at around 180 yds and that was all it took (broke ribs on both sides, then exited). The bull moose took one through the ribs and broke his off shoulder and exited, second was in the base of the neck which broke several vertebrae and also exited. While they may not look as good in the water jug test, they passed the big game test for me, passing through over 18" of animal and bone both times. They both showed it when shot, some hydraulic shock doesn't hurt in my opinion.
I also saw it work on deer very well. They are a very accurate bullet in my rifles and pistols.
Your real world results on big game trump the water bottle tests in my opinion.

I realize this is an older thread I'm replying to but I came across it while seeking reviews on the Hornady 300 grain XTP in the 444. I wouldn't mind hearing what your velocity was in these loads.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I know there are some that believe that hollow point use should be limited to self defense against 2 legged predators, but has anyone used this bullet on big game? Interested in actual hunting type situations like moose elk bear etc. Anything you can share helps. TIA.

Photo0083.jpg Pop here's a 23mm groupe with 300XTPs, on 48.5gns of H322 (our ADI 2219).

GUS

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. You have given me some inspiration.
I have just gotten back into loading and shooting the 444 after acquiring a double rifle in 444.
Been mostly loading and shooting the 44 special, magnum, and supermagnum for the last 30 years.
So I have all the components, I just have to assemble the rounds and head out!
I also have a 1980 444S that has been mostly lying around since about 1990.
Finally figured out putting a slip-on pad on it made that silly short stock shootable for me.
I am 6'3" with long arms.
I have both the Hornadys and the Speers and will find out which these rifles prefer.
They are both 1/38 micro's.

===
Nemo

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nemo,

I am with you on the slip on pad, I'm 6'4" and they are a must for me to get the right LoP on my marlins unless I replace the factory butt plate / pad.

Phil

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi-Viz, the sight people, make a very nice slip-on that fits the 444S with a 1" pad.
Recommended.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
I picked one up that fits the smaller 22's. Most of mine have been cut down at one point or another for kids and grandkids, making them difficult to shoot for grownups and bigger folks. That slip on even looks good. I carry it in my range bag so it's always available.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts