Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever wonder how the 480 Ruger might stack up against the 454 Casull in close "combat" type application?

I decided to try a test to get some idea of how they compare. I used a combination of wet (not soaked) newsprint and dry oriented strand board (waferboard, flakeboard) sheets 7/16" thick. (This is the kind of material is often for sheathing in building construction.) The bundles were built in stacks of (from the front) 3" paper, 1 sheet OSB, 4" paper, OSB, 3" paper, OSB.

I fired three different .452 diameter bullets: 300 Speer SP (Uni-Cor), 300 Hornady XTP-Mag, 300 hardcast. The velocity of these bullets was in the 1550-1600 fps range.

I also tried three .475 diameter bullets: Speer 400 Gold Dot SP (Uni-Cor) and 400 (RCBS mold) cast bullets in two variations. The alloy was the same in both; one type I water quenched, the other was air cooled. These bullets were in the 1100-1200 fps velocity range.

Here are the results:

I didn't find the second XTP. (I fired two of each bullet type.) As far as I can tell, all bullets fully penetrated the first bundle and were lodged in a second.

The test was not surprising to me in this form. I do think it begs for more testing of other kinds though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like they are both capable of some pretty good penetration. The other conclusion I would have to make is that Hard cast is tough to beat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts