Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its off topic so forgive me. :p
What do you guys know about the 30 Rem? I came across a slide action Rem in 30 Rem at a shop today & am intruiged a bit by it.
Is this still a factory round? Cant say I'v come across it before myself.

Is gun any good? I dont know the age but its not tapped for a scope & looks pretty old. The mag tube is different in that its spiral so to speak & it loads from the bottom. I'm going back tomorow to have a second look & take down the particulars. If anyone here is familiar with it or the round or knows where I can learn a bit about it I'd sure apreciate it.

The sticker said $300 but its been there for 2 years so I'd think it could be had much cheaper. Just not sure if I need it or not yet. :)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sounds like the old model 8 Remington pump. The cartridge is obsolete, but I still see cases and loaded ammo on occasion at gun shows. The base diameter is a problem, when trying to find other brass to form from, as the .30 Rem is pretty small at .421" rim diameter. It's a rimless case like a .300 Savage, .308, etc., but velocities are equal to a .30-30 Win., so good for deer, and smaller game, but not a hot cartridge by any means.
The price seems a bit high, unless it's really pristine. If it wasn't for the obsolete ammo, I'm sure these fine old model 8's would bring more.

G

·
The 30 REM is ballisticly pretty close to the 30-30 , but without the rim . They were chambered in remington model's 14 and 141. With the 14 being the older of the two . Depending on shape I have seen them advertised for as little as $200 to as much as $500. Don't think you can find loaded rounds , but I believe you can still get brass and dies. Cartridge should be simple to load for , just use 30-30 data and you should be alright :!:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
30 Rem

I have played around with this & have found it to be very similar to the 30-30... just like advertised. Buffalo Arms has brass for 28 bucks a hundred & there's plenty of data, of course. The gun could be a model 14 ( a couple of variations here) or a model 141. Any of these are worth the 300 bucks if in very good, unaltered condition.

Factory ammo can still be found at affordable prices.

Need?? Well, we're gun nuts here - of COURSE you need it!! 8) It would be good trading stock if nothing else. I don't know about the east coast, but these are very popular in other parts of the country.

When you inspect it again, watch for separations in the magazine spirals. It is possible to partially restore these after they have burst if conditions are right. I nearly fell for that one once. Also check how tight the stock fits the receiver & watch for bulges in the barrel. I'm always careful when I buy guns that have been in a shop for quite a while lest htere be a reason.

If you can negotiate the price, so much the better!! :D Good luck with it and post a pic if you bring it home!! SW

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its on consignement & been there for awhile, at least 2 years so I'll probably throw $125 or $150 at him to see what happens. Its not in good shape but doesnt look abused just used. Didnt have a bore light so I dont know whats in there either.

Are the models 8, 14 & 141 all similar? Damn I shoulda wrote down some info!

Whats with the spiral tube? I was thinking maybe they used pointed bullets & the spiral kept the point off the next primer.

Thanks for the responses! :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yep, that's what the spiral mag tube was fer. I never felt comfortable with the theory, though and only loaded flat points. I like your idea of a low offer! SW

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a few model 14's and really like them, the machine work is awesome, especially on the ones made in the teens. The 30 Remington is pretty much a rimless 30-30, the difference though is that it is a .307 bore diameter. Brass is still readily available but loaded ammo isn't, someone in Gunlist is advertising their loaded ammo for, I believe, $15.00 a box. The Model 8's and later 81's where autoloaders chambered in this cartidge. The model 14 was made 1912 to 1934, the 141 from 1936. The 141 was cheapened up a little from the 14's and given "clubbier" wood, but is still a nice gun. Make sure the receiver and triggerguard serial numbers match. The early 14's didn't have a model number stamped on them either. If it is a 14 and has a "shotgun"style stock instead of a crescent stock it was probably made in 1920 or earlier. Have fun, they are great rifles!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Yea, Nebrhogger PM'd me, and reminded me the pump wasn't the model 8. I always forget which is the pump and which is the semiauto on these Remingtons. Even the newer 740's and 760's give me brain fade when I try to remember which is which.
Thanks for catching that guys! Now I feel even older! :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 30 Rem

NebrHogger said:
When you inspect it again, watch for separations in the magazine spirals. It is possible to partially restore these after they have burst if conditions are right.
SW
I tried this post once & it failed, got lost I guess.

Anyway, are these spirals welded together? the reason I ask is thats how they look & I dont know if its a repair or not. It looks to be profesionally done & the patina matches the rest of the metal.
Its a model 14 & the serial # is 29### if I remember right (Left my pad in my work truck)

If I break it down will I be able to look thru the bore?
Also, are there any small parts to fall out & dissapear if I do this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
That should be a nice one. The serial number puts it's manufacture at 1914. You can look through the bore if you take it down, be sure it is cocked first, also you can then slide the bolt out if you want but it can be a little tricky to put back in till you get the hang of it. If you don't remove the bolt I guess you really couldn't look through the bore though. I don't believe the spiral was welded, I think it was formed. Sometimes they wear a little funny and maybe it just looks welded? Do you know even the little brush guard at the end of the magazine tube was machined from a block of steel? These guns are NICE! Good luck with it, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shoulda elaborated better. There looks to be faint grinding marks in the bottom of the spirals & I'm thinking its a ground down weld. That said I could be entirely wrong. I need to get there when the owners there as most of the others are archery people & dont know much about guns. Fact is the owner dont know much either but he's the one I need to strike a deal with to make this mine.
1914 would make this a first year gun, correct? I'm sure gonna keep that to myself if its so. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
They started making them in 1912, so unfortunately it isn't a first year gun. The oldest one I own is also a 1914 gun in 30 Remington. The ones made in the teens are really nice. It's just tough to find them in any kind of shape.There is a really good article by Layne Simpson on the early Remingon pumps in the March-April 1989 edition of Rifle magazine. You can still order the old issues. I really don't know why these riles aren't more popular because they are really nice and also have a couple of interesting variations.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I found the date they started making them after I turned the puter off for the night. Just figured, model 14 must have started in 1914. Thats what I get for assuming.
I told the shop owned I'd give him $125 for it & now he's gotta talk to the real owner as its on consignment. The sights dont apear original & the but pad's definatelly not since it says ithaca.
What came originally on the butt?
Also I think I saw someone post the barrel length as 22"? This ones 20" it apears.
Theres no way he's getting the $300 sticker price but once I look down the bore, if it looks decent I may give $200.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
LD,

I believe the original butt plate had Rem-UMC on it. Can't recall if steel or hard rubber is proper, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the barrel length as there were at least 3 varities of the model 14. You will also see variations in the rear sight. Some have a rotary dial to change point of impact & others simply had the regular slider. SW

·
Registered
180 Posts
The very first ones had a hard rubber buttplate, the one you are looking at would have had a steel Remington-UMC buttplate. The barrel has an integral forged front sight ramp, if it is still there it hasn't been cut, it should be a 22 inch barrel but I honestly never measured one. There was also a carbine with an 18 inch barrel and straight grip stock. I had one and sold it, I do regret that one! The original sights on one made in the teens would have a wheel elevator rear sight and a copper bead front sight. If you ever see a 14 1/2, a 14 carbine, or a 14 with a thumbnail safety for a reasonable price grab it!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rear sight on this one is a normal u notch sight with a wedge under it. However thers a notch under the wedge in the barrel. I supose this once held the rotary elevator you guys mention. Also unless I'm mistaken the front sight is dovetailed into the barrel. Something else to look for. :)

You guys are the greatest! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Aha! I remember about the sight! The slot machined into the barrel for the rotary sight was on all the barrels after that sight was discontinued. It doesn't look too good, but it's legit. - If you think the present sight fits the rifle. I had a good friend collected Rems & he was always telling me stuff like this... And did I take notes? :oops: No. If I had found more Rems, I would have collected them, too. They are scarce around here. SW

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a few m14's and 141's. they are great guns. They came with several types of buttplates, a hard rubber, a rounded steel shotgun type with rem-umc logo, a crescent with a dogleg on the underside and a crescent with the dogleg on the top. Arms&Ammo has plenty of 30 Rem brass for sale. I just started collecting these recently because they can be picked up often for little money. I bought one almost a year ago and it has spawned a litter! If there isn't an integral boss or ramp on the end of the barrel where the front sight slides into then it's been cut. But I wouldn't worry about it - it'll just make it a bit more handier.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh well, I offered him $125 but He seems stcck at $200. The bore doesnt look bad but its filthy, still I can see strong rifling from end to end.
Whats the consensus here, should I give him the duece or try getting him down? I think the shop may be the bug in the ointment. I'm sure he wants to make a buck (cant say I blame him) & since its a consignment deal the more it goes for the more he gets. He tried telling me its a $500 gun in the books.
Asked him if I could look at his book & thats what it says, $500 for a like new gun. This aint like new but I think I'd part with $200 for it.

Wadda you guys think? I sure value the opinions I get here & appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If I had the 200, I'd go for it. Of course, I'm a compulsive shopper!! :D SW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts